Q. Do I need to take Plan B if we fingered during protected intercourse?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I had a protected intercourse one week ago and took tablet Plan B within six hours of intercourse. I took the pill because we fingered, and I am sure we had some semen in our hands. I got bleeding and cramps now, but my period is due after 12 days.

Is this my earlier period or something else?

Thanks.

#

I can understand your concern.

The bleeding you are experiencing is called withdrawal bleeding, and it is a side effect of emergency contraceptives like Plan B (Levonorgestrel).

Plan B is synthetic progesterone called norethisterone. So, when you take it, the progesterone is increased suddenly, and then it drastically comes down. This is the mechanism by which pregnancy is prevented (progesterone imbalance). This sudden reduction of progesterone also causes side effects like withdrawal bleeding. This bleeding will start two to five days after taking the pill and may last for three to fives days like a regular period.

Since you are bleeding now, your regular periods may be delayed by 10 to 15 days. So do not panic in case you do not get your regular cycle by your due date.

|