Q. I am getting swelling over my face followed by toothache. Why?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had toothache for the past 48 hours. It made the right side of my face to completely swell. The toothache has now gone, but the swelling is increasing and started affecting the eye area. I have applied heat and ice to the swollen area, but neither have worked. Please give me some advice to quickly reduce the swelling as I have an important event later today. Thank you.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• The swelling that you have seems to be an abscess or pus due to infection.
  • This infection is most likely due to your tooth decay over a long period of time, which has spread to bone and around your soft tissues like muscles.
  • In the face region, swelling increases rapidly in size due to multiple natural pathways that connect each other. It is a potentially dangerous situation.
  • The abscess needs to be drained quickly. If allowed to progress, then it may lead to infection spreading to brain or even may lead to breathing difficulty.
  • I suggest you antibiotic Augmentin 625 mg twice daily along with analgesics. Contact an oral surgeon or a dentist as soon as possible for physical evaluation and take the medicine with consent. Follow up and get the tooth treated once infection subsides.
  • Do warm salt water rinses and apply ice to the swelling. Do not apply heat as it will spread the infection further.

Tooth infection or abscess spread to vital spaces in the face.

Space infection due to tooth decay.

1. Abscess drainage.
2. Antibiotics.
3. Analgesics.
4. Serratiopeptidase or other proteolytic enzymes.

For further information consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Why did I get pain after a long walk?

Query: Hello doctor, I walked for around 10 km two days back. I am not a habitual walker. I felt cramp twice in my right leg during first 3 km and after stretching it was better. Then I consumed fair amount of water. But, after 24 hours I got severe pain in calf muscles and there is slight swelling. Plea...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having fatigued muscle due to over exercise by an unaccustomed muscle. You can take muscle relaxant with anti-inflammatory and also apply some analgesic gel to the calf muscle. Heat and massage therapy will help in early resolution of symptoms. You should only...  Read Full

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cavities or tooth decay is chronic infections that spread further at a slow rate in most cases. The other thing to consider is any pain or associated symptoms with the cavities, which are indicative of active acute infection that has already spread deeper. So, if the cavi...  Read Full

Why do I have underdeveloped jaw bones, scoliosis, and swollen face?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. I have one kid and I am seven months pregnant. Since I started puberty, I got a lot of health problems. The left side of my underjaw is not fully grown. It feels like pieces are missing. You can also see the big difference between the left side of my chin and the right...  Read Full >>

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. See the issues like scoliosis, underjaw shape, and underdeveloped cheekbones are anatomical issues which are related to the natural structure of your body. They can not be corrected with the help of medication. You may take help from artificia...  Read Full