Q. I am getting swelling over my face followed by toothache. Why?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had toothache for the past 48 hours. It made the right side of my face to completely swell. The toothache has now gone, but the swelling is increasing and started affecting the eye area. I have applied heat and ice to the swollen area, but neither have worked. Please give me some advice to quickly reduce the swelling as I have an important event later today. Thank you.

#

• The swelling that you have seems to be an abscess or pus due to infection.
  • This infection is most likely due to your tooth decay over a long period of time, which has spread to bone and around your soft tissues like muscles.
  • In the face region, swelling increases rapidly in size due to multiple natural pathways that connect each other. It is a potentially dangerous situation.
  • The abscess needs to be drained quickly. If allowed to progress, then it may lead to infection spreading to brain or even may lead to breathing difficulty.
  • I suggest you antibiotic Augmentin 625 mg twice daily along with analgesics. Contact an oral surgeon or a dentist as soon as possible for physical evaluation and take the medicine with consent. Follow up and get the tooth treated once infection subsides.
  • Do warm salt water rinses and apply ice to the swelling. Do not apply heat as it will spread the infection further.

Tooth infection or abscess spread to vital spaces in the face.

Space infection due to tooth decay.

1. Abscess drainage.
2. Antibiotics.
3. Analgesics.
4. Serratiopeptidase or other proteolytic enzymes.

For further information consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|