Q. I am getting swelling over my face followed by toothache. Why?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had toothache for the past 48 hours. It made the right side of my face to completely swell. The toothache has now gone, but the swelling is increasing and started affecting the eye area. I have applied heat and ice to the swollen area, but neither have worked. Please give me some advice to quickly reduce the swelling as I have an important event later today. Thank you.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• The swelling that you have seems to be an abscess or pus due to infection.
  • This infection is most likely due to your tooth decay over a long period of time, which has spread to bone and around your soft tissues like muscles.
  • In the face region, swelling increases rapidly in size due to multiple natural pathways that connect each other. It is a potentially dangerous situation.
  • The abscess needs to be drained quickly. If allowed to progress, then it may lead to infection spreading to brain or even may lead to breathing difficulty.
  • I suggest you antibiotic Augmentin 625 mg twice daily along with analgesics. Contact an oral surgeon or a dentist as soon as possible for physical evaluation and take the medicine with consent. Follow up and get the tooth treated once infection subsides.
  • Do warm salt water rinses and apply ice to the swelling. Do not apply heat as it will spread the infection further.

Tooth infection or abscess spread to vital spaces in the face.

Space infection due to tooth decay.

1. Abscess drainage.
2. Antibiotics.
3. Analgesics.
4. Serratiopeptidase or other proteolytic enzymes.

For further information consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

What causes calf pain after taking a long walk?

Query: Hello doctor, I walked for around 10 km two days back. I am not a habitual walker. I felt cramp twice in my right leg during first 3 km and after stretching it was better. Then I consumed fair amount of water. But, after 24 hours I got severe pain in calf muscles and there is slight swelling. Plea...  Read Full »

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full »

Why do I have underdeveloped jaw bones, scoliosis, and swollen face?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. I have one kid and I am seven months pregnant. Since I started puberty, I got a lot of health problems. The left side of my underjaw is not fully grown. It feels like pieces are missing. You can also see the big difference between the left side of my chin and the right...  Read Full »