Q. What is the Treatment for Abscessed Tooth?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 22, 2022

I am a 46-year-old female. I have a problem with my tooth. There is an abscess, and my dentist is always fully booked. Can you help me?

#

I have gone through your query.

For an abscessed tooth, you have two options. One is endodontic treatment, and the other is the removal of the tooth involved in the abscess formation.

Now, the treatment plan depends on the condition of the tooth crown. If the crown is in good condition, you will be treated through a root canal treatment, and if the crown portion is decayed or damaged grossly, you will undergo extraction of the same.

Before visiting the dentist, I suggest to take antibiotic prophylaxis for three days:

1. Tablet Amoxicillin clavulanate 625 mg twice daily.

2. Tablet with a combination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol on sos (as and when necessary).

3. Capsule Pantoprazole 20 mg once daily before breakfast.

This drug regimen will decrease the formation of the abscess and will relieve you of the pain. It is necessary before the treatment. Take this medication only if you are not allergic to any of these and only if you are physically fit and not going through any condition like pregnancy, etc. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and start taking medicine with their consent.

|