Q. Along with PCOS I am suffering from bad skin. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

Five years ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS. Then three years later, I started suffering with very bad skin. My skin was excessively oily and I always have spots and deep pores. Sometimes my skin has red blotches, but they are not raised and there are no heads. I seem to have controlled the oiliness, but I still have spots and redness. I am desperate to resolve it as I did not suffer as a teenager. I am looking for any advice and recommendations that will help with this. I am currently on contraceptive pills to control hormones.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Since you are already a diagnosed case of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which is known to be associated with seborrhea, acne, hirsutism and alopecia called as SAHA syndrome.

But, with your history it seems that you are having only acne, which is a good prognostic marker in your case. This condition will partially get resolved with your hormone pills.

Topically, you can use antibiotics cream like Clindamycin or Nalidixic acid during morning hours and topical retinoids like Adapalene gel during night.

For oil control of your skin you have to do certain dietary restrictions like not to take oily and spicy food, junk food, milk products and non-vegetarian. Take lots of water which hydrates your skin.

PCOS.

Hormone profile.

1. SAHA syndrome.
2. Acne vulgaris.

Revert back after a month with photographs to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Why are hairless patches forming in my beard?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a hairless patch forming in my beard. The hairless patch feels smoother. Please help.  Read Full »

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full »

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article