What is the treatment for bloody mucous in my 3-year-old son's stools?

Q. How can bloody mucus stools of a 3-year-old be treated?

Dr. Amit Kumar Modi
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2022

My nephew is 3 years old. He has been getting bloody mucus in his stool for the last six days and also is having stomach pain also. Today, it has happened 17 times. We consulted a local pediatrician. He said it might be a gastro infection. He is having consistent stomach pain. Can I know what the diet should be? He is on Gifaxin, Zinc UP, Norfagyl, Drotin, and Xpect PD. What should I do now at home to help him? Gifaxin (Rifaxamin) was given today. After that, the number of stools increased. Kindly suggest to me what I should do.

#

As per the clinical history, the child suffers from infective gastroenteritis, also known as dysentery. This is diarrhea in children. A probable cause could be food poisoning or any infection. The medicines given by your pediatrician seem to be adequate.

I suggest you continue with the Norfagyl (Metronidazole and Norfloxacin). This is an antibiotic for both aerobic and nonaerobic infections. Zinc UP is zinc used to boost immunity and build gastric flora. Tufpro is a probiotic suspension. Probiotic has a very good role in controlling diarrhea by building gastric flora.

If Gifaxin (Rifaximin) is increasing the frequency of diarrhea, I suggest you may stop it, as it has a minimal role in acute gastroenteritis. Xpect PD (Terbutaline and Ambroxol) have been given for a normal cough and cold.

Keep rehydrating the child with ORS (oral rehydration salts) solution as needed. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the above medicines with their consent. If there is any sign of dehydration like lethargy, low urine output, or not being able to accept orally, then you need to immediately admit the child to a hospital.

Investigations to be done include stool routine and culture, and CBC (complete blood count). Continue with the advised medication. It generally takes two to three days for dysentery to resolve.

What should be the diet? Can I give moong daal khichdi and barley?

#

Yes, of course, you can give soft diets like moong dal khichdi with dahi (yogurt) or dahi rice, etc.

I suggest you take Drotin (Drotaverine), which gives symptomatic relief from pain in the abdomen. You can use it if necessary.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

|