Q. Can diabetes cause mesenteric vascular thrombosis, septic shock, and ARF?

Dr. Pratap Vgm
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

I have diabetes mellitus with a myeloproliferative disorder, massive upper gastrointestinal bleeding, mesenteric vascular thrombosis, and septic shock with ARF. How do I get this?

#

The main cause of your problem is diabetes mellitus. Diabetes is a prothrombotic condition creating a clot that blocks the mesenteric veins draining the intestine. Blockage of these vital veins causes decreased blood flow to the intestines causing ischemia and infarction of the intestine. This results in causing poor renal perfusion and finally, ARF (acute renal failure) occurs due to it. In other words, increased pressure in portal veins causes portal hypertension. It causes upper gastrointestinal bleeding. There is decreased renal perfusion and it increases the pressure in the bowman's capsule of nephrons in the kidney causing damage to the kidney. So, it results in ARF (acute renal failure).

|