Q. I feel pressure on my head, eyes, eyebrows and nasal bridge. Are these signs of sinus cancer?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I am a 27-year-old male. Last month, I sneezed the whole day and produced a lot of clear mucus. Two days later, mucus dried up, but I felt pressure on my head and slightly swollen and painful lymph node on my right jaw. This persisted until today.

What I could feel was no mucus, nasal congestion (alternate on left and right nostrils), pressure in between my eyes, above the eyebrow, on my nose bridge, and from behind my nose. The pressure on my nose bridge is also alternate. Sometimes, I feel more pressure on the left, sometimes on the right. I could also feel a slight pressure on my upper molars. During its peak, I also experience tension on my head like a rubber band was in it, and it was being stretched. All these times, I am not producing any mucus as I expected.

My ENT doctor said it is a case of allergic rhinosinusitis. She gave me corticosteroid spray (continuous until today), Sinupret, Claritrmycin, and Celecoxib. All for seven days.

My questions are, I am afraid that I may have nasal or sinus cancer. Why do I not have mucus? As what was told online to be the symptom for sinusitis? Are these symptoms of early nasal cancer? To clarify, what I feel is pressure as if someone is pushing his finger against those areas I mentioned, not sure if this is also called as pain but it is not the throbbing pain.

I could not get a CT scan because it is expensive and also I am afraid of its radiation, and also my doctor did not tell me to undergo a CT scan yet. Please help.

#

Do not panic. Your symptoms are completely away from cancer. You think you do not have mucus, but you may have a lot of collected mucus inside your sinuses. The mucus can be thick enough to be stuck into sinuses and could not be drained easily through the nose. You may feel it as a ball of mucus in your throat in the early morning while waking up.

Continue the corticosteroid nasal spray, drink warm fluids, but I want to add an antibiotic and nasal drops if you do not mind.

I would like to add, I am not a smoker, and in my opinion, I am generally healthy and not immunocompromised. Your advice is noted about the nasal spray and antibiotic. Please bear with me and answer all the questions below too.

Why is it taking so long? The pressure started three weeks ago until today. I could not wait for it to get better. Why do I feel pressure under my nose? I could not point it where it is exactly, but I feel more pressure on my bridge nose and a little bit in the upper front teeth. If I have a stuck mucus, why does my phlegm look white and clear whenever I manage to get some out on my throat. No blood is seen, though. Why was my lymph node swollen a bit on my jaw? Lastly, what would be the early sign of nasal/sinus cancer?

#

It takes more time because you might use the wrong antibiotic and you need another type. Maybe there is something in your environment that causes an allergy for you as dust or any specific smell.

The pressure in your face and nasal bridge is a result of collected thick mucus inside your sinuses. Inflammation and allergy can cause this pressure sensation too. There is no clear white mucus. Clear mucus is watery and colourless. White mucus is a thick mucus.

Swollen lymph nodes are a normal immune body response to any bacterial or viral infection. Early signs of sinus cancer are continuous pressure sensation in a specific part of the face, most commonly under an eye. Nasal cancer is early presented by continuous blockage of one side of the nose and sometimes bleeding too.

|