Q. Please help me in identifying the cause and treatment of sinusitis.

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 16, 2019

I have suffered from sinusitis for the last five years. I used to live in a house that had mould issues, and I am not sure if this brought on the sinusitis. I have been using Avamys nasal spray and Texa allergy tablets. For the last three weeks, I have developed a new symptom. I am having a problem with breathing at times. It varies between blocked sinuses to being unable to take full breaths. I have limited mucous discharge and do not know the reasons for the new issues I am having.

I have consulted with a cardiologist, and he has found no issues. I do have a ct scan detailing issues with my sinus, but my doctor did not feel it severe and prescribed diet and Avamys nasal spray. My doctor also prescribed Topzole tablets believing it could be acid reflux as I was getting a burning sensation on the upper center chest area. I do also suffer from mild trigeminal neuralgia in the cheek area. Another medical issue is neck and lower back pain related to discs.

The symptoms tend to get worse at night. I sleep on my left side, and as soon as I lay down, I am unable to breathe. I can now only sleep either on my right or on my back. Unable to breath makes me anxious and results in not being able to get much sleep. Also, it is hard getting used to sleeping differently.

It has been frustrating for me the last three weeks as I am unable to find a solution or the cause of this problem. Please, I need advice in identifying and treating this issue. I do have a ct scan for the sinuses, and chest scans, etc. if needed.

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Firstly I will brief you on what you are suffering with,

1) You have an allergy, which is a disease in your blood to which your body reacts to foreign materials, and the symptoms are shown as sneezing, different in breathing, nasal discharge, watering of eyes, and the complications of these are sinusitis and asthma.

2) So now, the plan of action is I need to see your blood and CT reports whatever has been done so that I can prescribe you the additional tests and treatment plan.

3) 60 to 70 % allergic Pt convert into asthmatics, so I want you to get treated before that.

4) Coming to the breathing problem, as I can access your scan, I can tell whether it is because of a deviated septum or extreme allergy or due to asthma.

Cetirizine and Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hi doctor, When I have the fever, can I take Cetirizine in the morning and then Paracetamol in the afternoon?  Read Full >>

Dr. Geethu Thomas
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You mentioned that you have the fever. You can use Paracetamol. You can take it up to three times a day and can stop if your temperature comes down. Now, coming to Cetirizine, it is used for allergy, cold, etc. If you are having a flu type of fever, that is, fever with...  Read Full

I am pregnant and I have nerve pain all over my face. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old female with a height of 5 feet 5 inches weighing 140 pounds, healthy, non-smoking, non-drinking female with no drugs and no other known health problems. Two months ago, I was exposed to HSV-1 and then seven days later, I was tested positive for HSV-1 oral with IgG ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are compatible with trigeminal neuralgia. I agree with your doctor's decision to avoid performing brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or any medication within the first trimester. Regarding encephalitis, you should know that it is a very serious condit...  Read Full

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please get an allergy testing done, either a skin prick or a blood comprehensive. Next, based on the allergens you are sensitive to, we can advise you on further course of action. With respect to getting tolerant to Cetirizine 10 mg, why not try Fexofenadine 120 or 180...  Read Full