Q. Whenever I drink alcohol, I feel itchy. Why?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
Published on Aug 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

Whenever I drink alcohol, I am getting itchy in my scalp, face and behind the ears. What could the reason? Please explain.

Dr. Eriol Braholli

General Medicine General Surgery Internal Medicine
#

• Itching and flushing may occur with alcohol consumption as an allergic reaction or if there is any deficiency of the enzyme, which destroys alcohol metabolite (Acetaldehyde).
  • Liver diseases may also lead to these symptoms if you are an alcohol consumer for a long time.
  • Get the biochemical tests done, especially liver tests, to see if any liver problem exists.
  • I suggest tablet Cetirizine 10 mg at evening to control itching. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Quit alcohol if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Paracetamol in Pregnancies

Query: Hi doctor,My wife is suffering from severe cold, headache and throat pain. Can she take Paracetamol, antibiotics, and Cetirizine? We are planning for pregnancy, using medicine for it. This is her 12th day after the period.  Read Full »

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full »

Does Itching Disturb Your Regular Activities?

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the diagnosis and management of severe itching. Read Article

Nowadays itching is a major problem or symptom of most of the allergic, systemic or fungal diseases. 4 out of 10 people have had some type of itching problem of the skin in their routine life. Severe itch also disturbs regular activities of daily living of mankind. What is Itching? Itching is de...  Read Article