Q. Whenever I drink alcohol, I feel itchy. Why?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

Whenever I drink alcohol, I am getting itchy in my scalp, face and behind the ears. What could the reason? Please explain.

#

• Itching and flushing may occur with alcohol consumption as an allergic reaction or if there is any deficiency of the enzyme, which destroys alcohol metabolite (Acetaldehyde).
  • Liver diseases may also lead to these symptoms if you are an alcohol consumer for a long time.
  • Get the biochemical tests done, especially liver tests, to see if any liver problem exists.
  • I suggest tablet Cetirizine 10 mg at evening to control itching. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Quit alcohol if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|