Q. My period is due in three days. Is there still a chance I can get pregnant?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
Published on Feb 04, 2018

Today I had unprotected sex with my partner. In just three days my period is due. He pulled out and I am sure he did not come inside me. Is there still a chance I can get pregnant? Please help.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

Firstly, you need to know the safe period concept during which you can even have unprotected sex and it does not cause pregnancy, but it is for regular 28 days cycle.

A menstrual cycle is calculated from the first day of your period to the first day of the next period (1). Safe period is from day-1 to 7 and day-21 to the rest of the cycle when you can have sex without worrying about getting pregnant.

This period will not be the same for all women as it depends on the length of the menstrual cycle. The average menstrual cycle is 28 days or a little less, but if your cycle is longer than 28 days, the safe period is not reliable. It does not depend on the duration of intercourse, whether ejaculation was done at the time of the act or not.There is less chance of being pregnant but confirm that you have a regular 28-day menstruation.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My cycle is about 27 days. Is there still a chance I can get pregnant? Even if he also pulled out too?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

If exactly you had 27 days regular menstrual cycle, then there will be no chance of getting pregnant. Even if you had unprotected sex or even ejaculation was done at the time of intercourse.

For better understanding, ovulation will occur exactly 14 days before menstruation. The fertile period will be exactly during that week of ovulation.

So, you do not need to worry much.

If you had complaints of irregular menstruation then this will not count.

Then better to go for blood investigation to confirm.

So if I get my period in three days does that mean I am for sure not pregnant? Or do I have to wait for the next period?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

If you had 27 days regular menstrual cycle, it comes under safe period. You will not get pregnant. There is no chance of getting pregnancy during those days. If you had an irregular menstrual cycle this will not be applicable. In that case, you can wait for next menstruation.

My pregnant wife passed a little blood. Is it a sign of miscarriage?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife tested positive for pregnancy four weeks ago. Three days later, she was passing a little blood. Is that normal or is there a chance of miscarriage? Is Progesterone 200 mg a good tablet or is it because of this tablet that she is passing blood? Please advice.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing ? Usually in the initial few days of pregnancy, you may experience implantation bleeding. The blood that is released from the uterine lining when the embryo penetrates into the uterine lining may be released as few drops of fresh blood or as brown-col...  Read Full

Tackling the Time Of Menstrual Cycle Every Month

Article Overview: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting women.Adhering to a healthy lifestyle i.e balanced diet, physical activity,mental relaxation etc improves the ability to cope with pain.Pain killers can be taken as advised by your gynaecologist. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena

Abdominal Pain: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting 40-70% of women in the reproductive age group. In medical terms we call this as dysmenorrhoea. This is associated with significant psychological, physical, behavioral and social distress. Usually it starts at the onset...  Read Article

My pregnant wife was recommended a gall bladder removal surgery. When can it be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 13 weeks pregnant. Though she takes Doxinate tablet once a day, she still has vomiting. Also, she often gets a stomach pain which eases in five minutes. We have discussed with the gynecologist about these issues and he had suggested a full abdominal ultrasound. In the ultra...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is good that you have consulted a surgeon and arrived at a diagnosis. It is nothing to panic about. If the sludge is left behind, it can cause an obstruction and not allow the baby to ...  Read Full