Q. I am not getting my periods after giving birth. Is this due to hypothalamic amenorrhea?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 27, 2019

I am 28 years old. I had no periods for the past five years, after giving birth. I suspect hypothalamic amenorrhea. I had one round of Clomid during my ovulation period, but I had no pregnancy. During the last few months, I stopped my exercise, and so I gained weight. Can I try naturally and see if my body will ovulate on own or should I continue with the Clomid?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Just by using Clomid (Clomifene) or Letrozole, you may not have your periods. Did you have any significant bleeding post delivery? Your weight looks fine. No periods for five years is too long, and present hormone levels will be unknown. I suggest you have any of the birth control pills of 21 twice a day for 10 days.

Throw away the 21st pill. No matter what the cause is, you will have periods within 7 to 10 days of the last medicine. On day three or four of your periods have serum FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), LH (luteinizing hormone) and AMH (anti-Mullerian hormone). This will give you an idea of follicle reserve and also if any central cause present. If both these are normal, you can start Clomid or Letrozole from day three or four and will have a much better result. I hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more questions and for your feedback.

I want to get pregnant very soon. Can I take clomid for ovalution?

Query: Hi doctor, I want to get pregnant very soon. Last year, when I was pregnant I missed it in three months. After that I am trying for the same. I am going through regular treatment with my gynecologist. I have done all tests and everything is fine. I am frustrated now. My partner did not undergo any t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Veena Madhankumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have already conceived once, you will not have any problem. Semen analysis is mandatory. If it is normal then you can go for ovulation induction. For further information consult a childbirth educator online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/childbi...  Read Full

I am 18. Why have I never got my periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 and I have never had period but sometimes I feel like something wants to come but it does not come. I had puberty hair and underarms hair two years back.  Read Full >>

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is called primary amenorrhea and it is a complex problem for which you need full assessment with all blood tests and ultrasounds and even more to rule out the cause and find a diagnosis what actually is going on inside. And sometimes it usually runs in families l...  Read Full

Is it safe to take oral contraceptive pill?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend had irregular periods and USG pelvis showed PCOD. So, she is taking COCP. In spite of taking the drug properly, she missed her period this month. Is anything wrong with her? What to do now? Does she need to continue the drug? Or should she stop it? I heard that COCP may caus...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Combined oral contraceptive pill (COCP) is absolutely safe for her. It does not cause cancer (low dose COCP). Just check the content of COCP which she is taking. If dose of Estrogen (Ethinyl estradiol) is 20 or 30 mcg, she can safely continue the medicine. In fact, COCP...  Read Full

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now