iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatryanger managementI have been experiencing anger management problems for a long time. Can SSRIs help me overcome it?

Can SSRIs help overcome anger management issues?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 2, 2023
Reviewed AtJune 20, 2023

Patient's Query

I want medication to help with my anger something like SSRI. I have always had terrible anger management problems since I was young. However, it has gotten to a point where I need something to help me control myself. I break down constantly and take my anger out on my family and work colleagues. Please help.

Thanks.

I understand your concern.

I can understand your situation. You may have major depressive disorder due to chronic stress. Your depression gives you anger outbursts. There is non-pharmacological management for it, and you should try to follow the below guidelines to deal with it. It will help you.

1. It would help if you exercised 30 to 45 minutes daily, like at least going for a walk.
  2. You should do meditation for 20 minutes daily, sit in one place in a comfortable position, and try to concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to control your thoughts. It will calm you and reduces anger outburst.
  3. You should eat healthy home-cooked foods and avoid junk foods.
  4. You must drink enough water.
  5. You should spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you are living away from your family.
  6. It would help if you spent time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, and learning new skills or language or musical instruments.
  7. You should take enough seven to eight hours of sleep daily.
  8. It would help if you avoid tobacco or alcohol, or any substance abuse.

I also suggest you start taking Fluoxetine 20 mg daily in the morning after breakfast. It will help you deal with anger outbursts. Consult a specialist doctor, talk with them, and take medications with their consent.

I hope that you get your answer.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

I need something strong to help me as I get out of hand. I work every day and constantly make time to walk around and get some fresh air.

Thanks.

I understand your concern.

I suggest you start the medication capsule Fluoxetine 20 mg daily in the morning after breakfast. It will help you.

Thanks.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply,

Can you give me a prescription?

Thanks.

I understand your concern.

I cannot give a prescription. You have to hire your country's psychiatry board-approved psychiatrist for a prescription. My prescription will not be valid in your country.

I hope this information will help.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Psychiatry

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Psychiatry

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy