Q. From my MRI report, please explain the reason for ankle pain.

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

I am suffering from left ankle pain. I have soreness and it is bruised. Sometimes, it is difficult to walk too. I am also suffering from lower back pain. I feel the pain from my ankle joint to my hip. I have a history of ankle pain, but it was on the right. Before two years, I had an arthroscopic surgery (OCD MTD) in my right ankle. A month ago, I had an MRI done. Here is the report for your reference. Kindly let me know if you want any other reports as well. From the MRI report, please let me know the reason for my left ankle pain.

#

• From your MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there are arthritic changes seen in the joint between two small bones of the foot, that is, talus and navicular as well as in the posterior part of the tibia. This is the cause for ankle pain and swelling and it is giving rise to synovitis.
  • You might have a history of trauma preceding the painful event, which you have not mentioned.

For further information, consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I still cannot understand the reason. Please explain it in simple terms and suggest me some medicines. There is no previous trauma in my left ankle.

#

• It means one of the ligaments of the ankle joint is ruptured and there are degenerative changes in the small joint of the foot.
  • I suggest you a painkiller when you have extreme pain, Diacerein 50 mg twice a day. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • I advice you apply hot moist packs to the ankle region as the joints has to be fused for relieving the pain.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologists online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|