Q. While extraction, I was told that my tooth was attached to bone. Is it common?

Answered by Dr. Sandeep Menon and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Ankylosed Tooth or Betadine? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: While extraction, I was told that my tooth was attached to bone.  Is it common?

During a recent extraction of 9 teeth, the dentist said that my right upper back molar had attached itself to the bone. When he tried to extract it a piece of my jaw bone cracked off, pierced the sinus cavity and punctured an artery. Blood spurted everywhere and they frantically applied pressure and packing until it stopped. They sutured it and sent me home with Penicillin. The dentist acted very casual like it happens all the time. I cannot find anything about this subject on the internet. It has been eight days and I have been weak and experiencing constant cold sweats. I do not have fever. I am still spitting out fresh clots of blood three or four times a day. They are not very large, but they are definitely fresh. Is this something that happens frequently with lasting and future effects? What is your opinion of these events?