Q. I have been suggested laminectomy and spinal fusion for ankylosing spondylitis. What to do?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2021

I am 71-years old, working part-time as a payroll specialist that makes me believe in a healthy lifestyle. I am faced with actual spinal surgery. When I spoke with the surgeon, they mentioned that part of my back had already begun fusion and is referred to as ankylosing spondylitis. I have very bad pain with lateral movement, and it also sounds like knuckle cracking. I have been suggested microdecompression laminectomy with possible spine fusion. I believe ankylosing spondylitis is the best option. Please let me know your views and how I might proceed.

#

The information that you provide is incomplete as there are two separate conditions that you mention. In ankylosing spondylosis, the spine fuses and becomes stiff, and further fusion is not recommended unless an Andersson lesion complicates matters. Spinal stenosis is a separate condition, and this will require decompression, while additional fusion is required if instability is operating present. It is very unusual to get the two conditions together. I will like to see your CT (computed tomography) scan report and x-ray of the spine.

|