Spinal Stenosis

What happens when your spine is fused together?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 71-years old, working part-time as a payroll specialist that makes me believe in a healthy lifestyle. I am faced with actual spinal surgery. When I spoke with the surgeon, they mentioned that part of my back had already begun fusion and is referred to as ankylosing spondylitis. I hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The information that you provide is incomplete as there are two separate conditions that you mention. In ankylosing spondylosis, the spine fuses and becomes stiff, and further fusion is not recommended unless an Andersson lesion complicates matters. Spinal stenosis i...  Read Full »

What causes spinal stenosis to flare up?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother just had an x-ray, and the impression is mild narrowing of T1-T2, and T2-T3 disc spaces and straightening of the normal thoracic kyphosis is seen. The pain is on the upper right side of my back. The feeling is numb and sore. The first doctor referred her to an orthopedic and ga...  Read Full »

Dr. Manav Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The x-ray findings you have posted (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) are consistent with a degenerative disc that is a normal phenomenon. So there is nothing to worry about. The straightening of the spine could mean weak, strained muscles which h...  Read Full »

Can MSM and bone broth be used for cervical stenosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking Lyrica 25 mg and sometimes 50 mg for cervical stenosis. It seems that it will continue to get worse with nine to five desk work that I have started back. I tried it once and had a bit of headache and felt bad for a day. Is it not good to take during the workweek? How about MS...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What is your job profile, and how much physical activity you have in your daily routine? MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) and bone broth are said to benefit in cases of generalized weakness in bones and ligaments. They are multi-vitamins and will not help your neck pain. I...  Read Full »

Are back pain, itching and irritation in vulva, and dry mouth signs of herpes?

Query: Hello doctor,I have sores in the mouth and irritation around the mouth at random times while eating. I also have blood and protein in the urine, loss of sensation when I need to urinate, occasional back pain, itching and irritation of the vulva (currently treating BV), burning eyes, and dryness of t...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Jauhari

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pictures sent by you suggest (attachment removed to protect patient identity) either some infection or vitamin deficiency.Your Valtrex (Valaciclovir) course should take care of any viral infection. Your urine report showing protein and blood means some infection (k...  Read Full »

Are my headache, ear block, palpitation, and neck pain caused due to T2 hypersensitivity?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been going to the doctor for several years and getting an MRI. On three occasions, I have had a brain MRI that states that I have a small T2 hyperintensity on the right petrous apex. But they keep telling me it is nothing. I have severe headaches, a feeling of fullness in my ear,...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry about hyperintensity MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). It may be an accidental finding. It is not the cause of headaches. As you told you are suffering from spinal stenosis, I want to know where it is? Is it cervical or lumbar? In the case of cervi...  Read Full »

What are the ways to manage back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother has back pain. Lower back. He carried a heavy stuff and accidentally put his pressure at his back. Maybe it is a sprain or what.  Read Full »

Dr. Santosh-kumar Bashyal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking into the problem of your brother, I would like to discuss here and flashes the light on. There would be many things can happen, not only just sprain. 1. Muscle or ligament strain- Repeated heavy lifting or a sudden awkward movement can strain back muscles an...  Read Full »

I have MRSA and severe spinal stenosis. Are they related?

Query: Hello doctor, I have MRSA and severe spinal stenosis. I was in hospital 8 months ago. Since leaving the hospital I have had rashes, burning, itchy and twitching in my face and neck areas. About 5 months after hospital visit I had severe burning feeling in muscles and major muscle atrophy and increa...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. MRSA occurs asymptomatically as a carrier in many people. MRSA is not related to your spinal stenosis problem. Kindly tell the exact MRI report as if there are no hyper intensities in spinal cord we will not suspect autoimmune etiology also. Spinal stenosis is commo...  Read Full »

I have back pain due to lumbar spinal stenosis. Should I get laminectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had back pain for the last 12 years. I had an l5 s1 disc herniation and later diagnosed with severe lumbar spinal stenosis at l4 l5 as well. My back pain is more critical than the leg pain. However, I have persistent calf and foot spasms and cramping (especially in bed and at n...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are quite aware of the condition and have managed to live with the issue, but as you say, you cannot walk not than a mile, but it does not seem to be your main issue. If you required to walk longer, then laminectomy will be the solution, but you need to get relie...  Read Full »

My left arm seems to be raising automatically with some gait problem. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed recently that my left arm seems to be raised automatically. This is also about my waist height. I saw a neurologist three years ago, and everything was fine. I also had a brain MRI in 2018 because I was having problems with gait, sometimes need to put my hand on the wall...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The clumsy hand and gait difficulties could be related to the cervical spine stenosis. Anyway, I would recommend performing a brain MRI and a physical, neurological exam by your neurologist, before coming to this conclusion. I would also recommend stop taking Zolpide...  Read Full »

Spine scan shows posterior disc bulge at L4 to L5 intending thecal sac. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Posterior disc bulge at L4 to L5 intending thecal sac, narrowing bilateral neural foraminae and mild abutting bilateral exiting nerve root.  Read Full »

Dr. Rohit Rajalbandi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just went through your scans and read about your symptoms. I would like to tell you about the problem you are facing. As the age progresses the spine undergoes degeneration leading to narrowing of the canal leading to your problems. I would like to know what are your ...  Read Full »