Q. I cannot focus, and I stress over unnecessary things. Please help me.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2021

My thoughts are always racing, and I cannot focus. I am always worried, and I think for the worse. I get emotional over things which happened in the past, every day. I have gained 20 lbs over the past year. I stress about going for trips or gatherings in advance, but in the end, I always enjoy myself. I have had my thyroid checked, and it is normal. I have previously been on Buspirone, but I hate taking medicine, so I stopped after three months of taking it. Although, it helped to an extent. Currently, I take multivitamins, and I am overall healthy.

#

I can understand your concern.

• You have a problem with racing thoughts and always think worse. If these thoughts are unwanted, dominating, and are resulting in distress, then that could be due to anxiety or possibly these could be obsessive thoughts. These thoughts are difficult to suppress and are purposeless but persist in the mind.
  • Getting emotional over things in past, negative thoughts, anticipation about trips, etc., could be part of anxiety. Anticipatory anxiety is commonly seen in a lot of individuals, and to some extent, this is considered as normal.
  • Multivitamins, especially containing vitamin B12 have great efficacy in controlling the symptoms. In addition to this, I suggest you take omega-3 fatty acids also. These supplements will also help you in controlling your thoughts.
  • If the symptoms persist, then drugs like SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) should be used. Fluoxetine, Sertraline, or Escitalopram are commonly used drugs for intrusive anxiety. These drugs are safe to use and have no serious side effects. You do not want to take medicines, but if symptoms persist even after taking supplements and behavioral modifications, then I am afraid medication will be needed.
  • Behavior therapy with relaxation exercises is also one of the commonly used treatments for anxiety. Progressive muscles relaxation help to reduce stress. Thought stopping techniques and systematic desensitization are other techniques for controlling thoughts. In systematic desensitization, a list of common things that produce anxiety is made and the gradual desensitization is done. These behavioral modifications have great efficacy in anxiety.

So, please do not remain distressed. These symptoms can be controlled even without medicines. But in rare cases, medicines will be needed. Thanks and take care.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|