Q. Is it true that Ashwagandha has bad interaction with anesthesia?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg
Published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 22, 2019

I am due to have a surgery cone biopsy for CIN 3. I am stopping all my supplements a week before, as requested by the hospital. However, I ordered an herbal medicine last week, Ashwagandha, to try for insomnia and nerves. It was dumb to try without consulting a doctor. I think I have only taken it three to four times in total, about half teaspoons of the stuff for each dose over the last week. I had almost a half teaspoon with water. I just looked online that they advised to stop taking Ashwagandha at least two weeks before surgery as it may have a bad interaction with anesthesia and also may cause bleeding. I have never had general anesthesia before and I am somewhat terrified of not waking up from it already. Another doctor advised to stop taking the stuff one week prior, which puts me in the clear. I wanted to have your opinion on it. The last dose was 48 hours ago. Do you know about this herb and its dangers with surgery? Do I need to reschedule my surgery?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiology General Practitioner
#

Regarding your query, it seems you have already searched a lot on the social networks.

• You are absolutely right that Ashwagandha should be stopped for 1 week prior to surgery. But, there are certain facts you need to know.
  • First, you are not having a surgery and it is only a biopsy, which is a day care procedure. It will be done under sedation.
  • Secondly, Ashwagandha potentiate the effect of other anticoagulants and it does not cause bleeding issues. So, if I were your anesthetist, then I would proceed with certain precautions.
  • You need not to worry as you have already stopped it. It is not going to give you any trouble. So, cheer up. Everything will be alright.

For further doubts consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

Thank you very much doctor,

I also took a high dose of Vitamin C 3000-4000 mg for about 10 days before and quitting cold turkey today without tapering. Same thing with fish oil. Is that fine? I am 46, but have never had general anesthesia before. I am very much concerned about it. Is that the same as sedation?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiology General Practitioner
#

• You need not worry about vitamin C or fish oil. It does not matter whether you are taking it or not before anesthesia.
  • General anesthesia is the next stage of sedation where you will be paralyzed too. It is absolutely safe. So, stop worrying.

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »

Does biopsy on a pregnant woman result in any complication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full »

Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with eosinophil infiltration. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with prominent eosinophil infiltration in the lamina propria with a mild lymphomonocytic cell. Urothelium shows atrophic change.  Read Full »

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now