Q. I had an asthma attack. Please interpret my chest x-ray for abnormal findings.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Today I had an asthma attack at work and they treated me and did a chest x-ray. I am an x-ray technician and I just do not think my chest x-ray looks right. Please suggest.

I am currently on Concerta, Omeprazole, Cetirizine, Montelukast, Symbicort, Pro-air emergency pump, and Albuterol.

#

The chest x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity), PA and lateral views are showing mildly prominent bronchovascular markings in the bilateral perihilar and lower zones and might be of concern for hyperactive airways after the asthma attack.

There are no focal lung lesions.

There is no pleural effusion.

The cardiac size is normal.

The retrosternal space is normal.

The domes of diaphragm are normal. Please discuss this in detail with your doctor.

So I do not have pneumonia?

#

I find the increased markings which might suggest hyperactive airways and can be visualized after an asthma attack.

Pneumonia is a lung infection as you might be aware of. Pneumonia can cause many types of patterns on the chest radiograph. Your chest radiographs do not show typical pneumonia.

However, if pneumonia signs are there clinically and if you continue to have respiratory symptoms in the next few days then a follow-up chest x-ray or a chest CT (computed tomography) scan might be needed.

|