Q. My daughter has frequent rashes which reduce with medicine and recur after that. Please help.

Dr. Snehal Laul
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My 14-month-old daughter has flare-up rashes. The rashes started last, and she still has them at the minute. We have been giving her Allerief liquid, it seems to reduce after the medicine, but it will then return after a couple of hours. She does not show any other symptoms and still seems well, but the rash is quite severe. We have tried to eliminate nappies, milk, washing powder, etc. However, it does not seem to be making any difference. Could you advise on anything we could do? Thanks.

#

The differential diagnosis is irritant contact dermatitis and urticarial rash.

• Apply Desonide cream at night for ten days.
  • Also apply Lacto Calamine, lotion thrice daily for ten days.
  1. Do you have any history of fever?
  2. Is it widespread or localized to the diaper area?
  3. Do you have any history of atopy?
  4. Did you experience a similar episode in the past?

Please do reply.

Thank you for your responses. Do you know what might be causing this, please?

#

It is atopic dermatitis, a widespread allergic response in babies or infants to allergens or irritants.

The cause can be external stimuli, ammonia in urine (diaper contact dermatitis), or dietary protein.

• Use Desonide cream or Cutisoft (Hydrocortisone) cream at night for ten days.
  • Also, use Physiogel Hypoallergic Al cream once in a day.
  • Atogla (gamma Linolenic acid, Ceramides, Aloe vera, Wheat Germ Oil, and Glycerin) lotion or Lacto Calamine lotion thrice daily for ten days.
  • Avoid cow milk or related formula milk, egg, and groundnuts.
  • Frequent change of diapers.
  • Take care of the skin by gentle lukewarm water wash.
  • Give Atarax (Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride) syrup 2.5 ml two times a day.
  1. Do your parents have a history of atopy?
  2. Does the flare-up of atopic dermatitis occur with a change in weather?
  3. Is there any seasonal aggravation?
  4. Did you use strong soaps?
  5. Did you use any new cosmetic products like powder, cream, or scented fragrance lotion?
  6. Is she allergic to woolen clothes, dust, or pets in the house?
  7. Does she have any history of drug allergy to Amoxicillin or any other drug?
  8. Does she have any history of fever?
  9. Is the she rash localized to the diaper area or widespread?

Thank you so much doctor for your reply.

No, there is not a fever, but she does have diarrhea. It is widespread, but it does seem to be more severe in the diaper area. It is on the cheeks, arms, and legs. There is no history of it in her or the family, and it never happened before. Could it possibly be a virus? The anti-allergy medicine takes it away more or less straight away. Would it do this if it was a rash caused by a virus? She always drinks cow's milk. This is a photo of how it was this morning when she woke up, without giving her any medicine.

Thanks.

#

• Three to four times the frequency of semi-solid to solid-stools are normal.
  • Stop any new food which you have started giving her recently.
  • Maintain proper hygiene of bed linen and clothes.
  • Stay away from pets, if any.
  • It is an allergic rash if it subsides due to anti-allergics.
  • Diarrhea with the rash can be a viral infection (rotavirus).
  1. Are there any pets at home?
  2. What is the frequency of stools?
  3. Do the symptoms of diarrhea and rash started together at the same time?
  4. Is there excessive, unreasonable crying of the baby?

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

No, we do not have any pets. It seems to flare up when the baby is asleep in her cot or the pram. When she wakes up from the sleep, the rash has returned. We have washed all her clothes and bed linen on a 60-degree wash with no washing powder. Cut all dairy from her diet. She is doing one stool per day, but it is not like her normal stools. She still seems fine in herself and has no temperature. What do you think it could be?

#

It is atopic dermatitis (allergic rash) due to extrinsic allergen. Clean the pram and baby linens or clothes regularly.

An anti-allergic drug will suffice.

• Give Desonide cream at night for ten days.
  • Atarax (Hydroxyzine) syrup 2.5 ml twice daily for five days.
  • Atogla lotion twice daily for ten days.
  • Or Calamine (zinc carbonate and ferric oxide) lotion twice daily for ten days.
  1. Are the stools foul-smelling?
  2. Is the stool are greenish-brown watery in color and consistency?
  3. Is there any history of an insect bite?
  4. Does the baby have any mite allergies?
  5. Is the baby is allergic to woolen clothes?

| 

Are itchy skin rashes, abdominal cramps and nausea symptoms of an allergic reaction?

Query: Hello doctor, I am very itchy. One time my finger itched in the same spot for like two or three days intermittently, then it was my foot. I have also developed skin rashes that come and go. Doctors say it is either eczema or some kind of skin condition or bug bite. These rashes come and go, one doc...  Read Full »

Are body pain, headache and skin rashes symptoms of dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 10 years old. For the past eight days, she has been suffering from body pain, headache, and some skin irritation. Her doctor said that it is pitta acidity. There is no improvement till date. Last year, during rainy season, she had some face and body irritation problem, whic...  Read Full »

My baby is suffering from eczema. Please suggest some treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, My 5 months old baby has pretty bad eczema. Just recently, he had a bad flare-up in which he was weeping from both legs, arms, hands and cheeks. For 80% of the day he is suffering with rash and seems to have no relief at all. He scratches and cries continuously throughout the day and wak...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now