Q. I have trouble sleeping and concentrating due to ADHD. How to overcome this?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I was diagnosed with ADHD in second grade, and I was in a learning disability class because I had trouble concentrating. My father was against these classes, so I never got help or treatment for it and ended up dropping out of school and started to work early. As an adult, my brain does not stop thinking I have trouble sleeping. I often misplace things. I keep something down, and a few minutes later, I forget where I put it. I cannot focus during conversations and get bored easily. During the day, I often cannot sit still, or even on weekends, I jump from task to task and start to get restless. Please help.

#

I can understand your situation. There are some non-pharmacological management for it. It will help if you try to follow the below guidelines to deal with it. It will help you.

• You can do exercises or atleast walk daily for 30 to 45 minutes.
  • You can do meditation for 20 minutes daily. Sit in one place in a comfortable position and concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to control your thoughts. Just let it be. It will help you relax and increase your concentration.
  • You should eat healthy home-cooked foods, avoid junk foods.
  • You must drink enough water.
  • You should spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you live away from your family.
  • You should spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, learning new skills or language or musical instruments.
  • You should get seven to eight hours of sleep daily.
  • You must avoid tobacco, alcohol, or any substance abuse.
  • Live your life, do not just spend it.
  • Be bold and confident.

If you still have symptoms that persist after following the advice for four to six weeks, you need to start medications for a short duration. I hope you got your answer. Please let me know if you want some help. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply, doctor,

I regularly work out for atleast one hour at home after I bought a bow flex. After work, when I am bored and do not have anything to do, I will walk around the block four times. Now I am in a good position professionally, so I have good health insurance. But I do not have the time to go to the doctor's. I am not on any medicines except for the tablet Advil PM, which I take every day to fall asleep. I tried to research for many years on how to deal with myself. Please help.

#

I can understand. But only a workout will not help you. You have to follow all advice which I have mentioned. Meditation will be most effective for you. Still, if you do not get any result within four weeks, you need to start medication. I hope that answers your query. Please let me know if you want some help. Thank you.

|