Q. I have hypothyroidism and skin allergy. Can I marry a person with ulcerative colitis?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am taking tablets for hypothyroidism and have a skin allergy. I decided to marry a person but later found out that he has ulcerative colitis. Will this cause any health issues for our baby as we both have an autoimmune disease? My blood group is A-, and he is B+.

#

Do you have autoimmune thyroid disease? It is common to have hypothyroidism at your age because of a lack of iodine in the diet, which causes some enlargement of the thyroid gland. They soon shrink, and the size will reduce once iodine supplements are replaced. However, autoimmune thyroid disease is an antibody (immune cell) induced disease, which can happen, and run in families. Ulcerative colitis is also an autoimmune disease, and almost 25% time, it comes from parents. There are surely other non established risk factors, like water, smoking, diet, age, gender (more common in females), can collectively play a role in the causation of ulcerative colitis. The problem with ulcerative colitis and other autoimmune diseases is that there is no specific risk factor or cause for the condition. Genetics is although one of many factors, but not a sole cause. So to answer your concern, yes, there are chances that your offspring (baby) can develop these conditions as well. Since there is no exact cut data, I can quote you or tell you in percentages and figures. The surprising thing of note is, your finance may not have any positive family history of ulcerative colitis, and yet he developed this himself.

|