Q. Is it too risky to take low-dose Aspirin every day for years?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

I am a 30 year old female. I had a blood clot at 24 and have been taking baby aspirin every day since I came off Coumadin. I have read a lot about the long term risks of Aspirin on the GI and the brain. I would like to come off my daily dose. Are there long-term effects with my six years of daily 81 mg of baby aspirin? Or if I stop taking it, does the risk of bleeding on the brain also go away? Sometimes, I would take 365 mg for short periods when traveling, but it was mostly the low dose Aspirin. I am worried I have done some kind of damage to the vessels of my brain by taking it for so long, even if I stop now.

#

I have reviewed your health query and can well understand your worries.

• No, this is not such a high dose that it may have caused issues to the blood vessels or brain. It is the safest dosage of Aspirin and is rather protective to the blood vessels at large. It will not harm you even if you have taken it for a long time. Actually, we have to consider the benefits of Aspirin versus the little harm, if any, caused by the drug. Clots are very serious compared to any side effect of baby aspirin.
  • As far as taking you off Aspirin is concerned, it can be decided only by your treating physician as he knows best about your past and recent medical conditions. Without having a good reason, we cannot take you off Aspirin. And, if your physician decides to take you off Aspirin, you will no longer be at a risk of side effects.

Hope it helps. Please feel free to contact me if you need further assistance. I would be happy to help. Regards.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|