Q. My baby has constipation and gas problems due to Dexolac. Should I change the formula milk?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Jun 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2019

My daughter is a premature baby. Her birth weight was 1.7, and now she is 2 months old and weights 3.1. Our doctor suggested dexolac special care. She is suffering from constipation, and gas problem after having it. The doctor suggested medicines, but there were no changes. One to two days she was fine, and the next day the same problem started again. She is mostly crying at night and not sleeping. Can I change formula powder? What powder is the best for my baby? Please advice.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Please note that children below the age of 6 months pass stools either once in two to three days or 10 to 15 times per day. It is normal, and it is not labeled as loose motions or constipation. If you are labeling it as constipation because of hard pellet like stools, then I would advise you to increase the water content of the top feeds and see.

As far as the gas problem is concerned, it is also normal. Nothing is to be done. Almost all babies have gas just like a normal adult. There is no medicine for the same because it is normal. You can calm down a crying baby by either singing (light tones), suckling (allowing baby to suckle), swaddling (wrapping the baby in cloth), swinging (putting the baby in a small too and fro motion). You can also tap slowly on the stomach to reduce discomfort as and when required.

| 

What is VSD?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 28 days old. During her normal check up, after Doppler echocardiography it is found that she has a small VSD. The doctor said that it is normal and generally by a year it will get cured. But, I would like to have a second opinion with you. Please help.  Read Full »

Scan shows uteroplacental insufficiency. Will this cause premature baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 31 years, had scan done at 27 weeks and it showed early dialostic notch in bilateral uterine arteries with mild increased mean uterine artery pi- 1.42. Suggestive of uteroplacental insufficiency. I have got BP now (150/90). This is not anomaly scan. Seek second opinion, p...  Read Full »

Can I discharge my premature baby from the NICU?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife was 5 months pregnant and yesterday she gave birth to a premature baby. The doctor has advised us to stay in the hospital for a long time. Is it advisable to do so? Shall I get her discharged from the hospital?  Read Full »