Q. What is the reason for constant fever in a nine month old?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

My 9-month baby girl has nine days of fever (every 6-8 hours). First four days antipyretic was given. From fifth to the eighth day, Cefixime oral was given. Ceftriaxone injection till now and the fever is not fading away. Test like CBC, CRP, Epstein Barr agar, blood culture, urine culture is done. Please help.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

The clinical features and reports you have shown are indicative of the infection. But and the infection looks like a bacterial origin because of predominantly elevated neutrophils and CRP. The common infection in this age group are urinary tract and respiratory tract, but other sites may get infected e,g. Abdomen. We do tests sequentially. I want to do urine examination for routine and culture, and blood culture should be repeated with an adequate amount of blood, ultrasound abdomen to look for any evidence of infection e,g, abscess, pyelonephritis. Another thing is we should so repeat CBC and CRP to look for improvement.

And if your child is irritable with poor feeding, then my dear we should also thought of meningitis that is infection of brain. For this get done a CECT head and lumbar puncture and examination of the CSF. Therapeutic intervention in your case, although Ceftriaxone is a good drug but in such young child and we should give two antibiotic combination e,g, Ceftriaxone and Amikacin. Because of the better cover of the causative organism.If she has respiratory symptoms, then a chest x-ray is indicated, and after that, we can add other drugs also depend on the finding of the x-ray.

So, ask your doctor to do all these intervention and monitoring of the inflammatory parameters. And review back with detail reports or before that if you need more discussion.

My blood reports shows lymphocytosis and macrocytic anemia. Kindly give your opinion.

Query: Hello doctor,I would like to know your opinion of my complete blood count. I have attached my reports with this which shows absolute lymphocytosis and macrocytic anemia from two years.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. In the mentioned history hemoglobin level is low and MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is high, So macrocytic anemia is present (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cause for which has to be ruled out. Hypothyroidism, vitamin B12 deficiency, liver di...  Read Full

My daughter has fever despite taking Crocin and sponging. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter is 3 years and 11 months old. She is suffering from a fever since last night. The temperature was between 101 and 102 F. She has been given three doses of Crocin suspension DS today and right now she has a 99.8 F fever after giving sponge. There are no other symptoms. Please...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amit Modi
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your clinical history, your child is suffering from fever since one day. Generally, the fever is seasonal and does not require any workup. Do give some antipyretics like Paracetamol to bring down the temperature. Do a cold sponging of the forehead...  Read Full

What is the treatment for dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been bit by a dengue mosquito yesterday. Which medicine do I need to take? What is the treatment for dengue? Please guide.  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. Dengue is a viral fever and there is no specific medicine for dengue. Only symptomatic treatment is recommended that is antipyretics for fever and antacids for nausea and vomiting. Take ...  Read Full