Q. My mom has pain in the bones and lower back and gets bouts of imbalance. What is the reason?

Published on Nov 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2019

I want a consult for my mother. She is 60 years old and complaining of pain in the bones and back specifically lower back and feeling the presence of bone air as if it breaks. She also feels bouts of imbalance, while sitting, standing or even walking. She did an analysis and has a lack of vitamin D. Doctor prescribed vitamin D 50000 units once a week and calcium 300 grams. She also has blood pressure and high cholesterol but has not been prescribed a cure.

What is the reason for the imbalance, since it appears at intervals? Do high cholesterol and blood pressure is related to lack of vitamin D?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Firstly, regarding her back pain, it is probably a spinal problem. Backache may be simply muscular, but considering her age, I would keep spinal cause as a first possibility. In spinal causes, it is probably related to compression of nerves, which would cause pain and may sometimes lead pain traveling into one or both limbs associated with tingling or numbness. So, Vitamin D supplements should be given, but alone is unlikely to help. She will also need an x-ray of spine and physiotherapy.

Regarding imbalance, just make sure whether it is imbalance or vertigo. It may be due to neurological causes, internal ear causes, cervical spine causes. Usually, neurological imbalance occurs on activities and unlikely at rest, so I am considering the possibility of either cervical or internal ear causes. So, if she is having any neck pain or tingling numbness sensation in arms, then cervical may be a likely cause or else it is an internal ear problem. So, in my opinion, you should have a neurologist appointment for this.

And low vitamin D and hypertension, cholesterol does not have any significant direct relation. They are different issues but should be under control with medicines as they are risk factors for CAD (coronary artery disease).

What Causes Neck and Low Back Pain?

Article Overview: Understanding the mechanism of neck or low back pain by both the patient and the treating doctor is essential in establishing an accurate diagnosis and effectively managing the condition. Read Article

Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

Pain in the neck or back can severely limit one's ability to function in everyday life and often causes great anxiety that a serious threatening condition may have arrived. Fortunately for the vast majority of those afflicted, no surgery will be necessary usually and there is often a good recovery w...  Read Article

Why is there pain in wrists and ankles?

Query: Hello doctor, Both of my wrists and my right ankle have recently started to hurt when I run or lift weights, but they are not sore. It is in my joints.  Read Full >>

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per history, I think you should start strengthening the forearm and leg muscles gradually. Please do let me know if you have had any ankle sprain in the past. This will provide more insights. Try doing reverse walking as well. A balance board training for the ankle ...  Read Full

I am HLA-B27 positive with vitamin D deficiency and back pain. Will it affect my marriage life?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I got married recently. I am HLA-B27 positive patient with vitamin D deficiency (less than 8%). These days, I am suffering from severe back and shoulder pain. Sometimes, there is a hip joint pain, and I am not able to sleep at night. Rarely, the pain remains...  Read Full >>

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms do match spondyloarthropathy. It is a sort of arthritis, usually common in males but 10% of the females can get affected. The severity is not so much in women, though. Secondly, painkillers (I am not sure which you are taking) are a good drug to stop the d...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now