Q. My mom has pain in the bones and lower back and gets bouts of imbalance. What is the reason?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2019

Hello doctor,

I want a consult for my mother. She is 60 years old and complaining of pain in the bones and back specifically lower back and feeling the presence of bone air as if it breaks. She also feels bouts of imbalance, while sitting, standing or even walking. She did an analysis and has a lack of vitamin D. Doctor prescribed vitamin D 50000 units once a week and calcium 300 grams. She also has blood pressure and high cholesterol but has not been prescribed a cure.

What is the reason for the imbalance, since it appears at intervals? Do high cholesterol and blood pressure is related to lack of vitamin D?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Firstly, regarding her back pain, it is probably a spinal problem. Backache may be simply muscular, but considering her age, I would keep spinal cause as a first possibility. In spinal causes, it is probably related to compression of nerves, which would cause pain and may sometimes lead pain traveling into one or both limbs associated with tingling or numbness. So, Vitamin D supplements should be given, but alone is unlikely to help. She will also need an x-ray of spine and physiotherapy.

Regarding imbalance, just make sure whether it is imbalance or vertigo. It may be due to neurological causes, internal ear causes, cervical spine causes. Usually, neurological imbalance occurs on activities and unlikely at rest, so I am considering the possibility of either cervical or internal ear causes. So, if she is having any neck pain or tingling numbness sensation in arms, then cervical may be a likely cause or else it is an internal ear problem. So, in my opinion, you should have a neurologist appointment for this.

And low vitamin D and hypertension, cholesterol does not have any significant direct relation. They are different issues but should be under control with medicines as they are risk factors for CAD (coronary artery disease).

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My mom suffers with back pain and limited walking. What could cause this?

.. to assure you not to worry as everything is going to be fine if proper care and treatment is opted in for. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. Thank you for uploading the lab reports (atta...   Read full

How long should I wait for a sports injury to heal?

.. for providing a brief history. As you had this injury persisting from 2 years now, I will advise getting a proper examination with the physiotherapist you been seeing for now and provide me the reports. Because the muscles must have got weaker an...   Read full

Is it normal to feel that the ankles are displaced while running?

.. for long hours can lead to weakness in the ligaments of the ankle joint, leading to ankle instability. If never taken an MRI of the ankle due to any sprain I will recommend one to take. You can start using the balance board training which will hel...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.