Q. My mom has pain in the bones and lower back and gets bouts of imbalance. What is the reason?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2019

I want a consult for my mother. She is 60 years old and complaining of pain in the bones and back specifically lower back and feeling the presence of bone air as if it breaks. She also feels bouts of imbalance, while sitting, standing or even walking. She did an analysis and has a lack of vitamin D. Doctor prescribed vitamin D 50000 units once a week and calcium 300 grams. She also has blood pressure and high cholesterol but has not been prescribed a cure.

What is the reason for the imbalance, since it appears at intervals? Do high cholesterol and blood pressure is related to lack of vitamin D?

#

Firstly, regarding her back pain, it is probably a spinal problem. Backache may be simply muscular, but considering her age, I would keep spinal cause as a first possibility. In spinal causes, it is probably related to compression of nerves, which would cause pain and may sometimes lead pain traveling into one or both limbs associated with tingling or numbness. So, Vitamin D supplements should be given, but alone is unlikely to help. She will also need an x-ray of spine and physiotherapy.

Regarding imbalance, just make sure whether it is imbalance or vertigo. It may be due to neurological causes, internal ear causes, cervical spine causes. Usually, neurological imbalance occurs on activities and unlikely at rest, so I am considering the possibility of either cervical or internal ear causes. So, if she is having any neck pain or tingling numbness sensation in arms, then cervical may be a likely cause or else it is an internal ear problem. So, in my opinion, you should have a neurologist appointment for this.

And low vitamin D and hypertension, cholesterol does not have any significant direct relation. They are different issues but should be under control with medicines as they are risk factors for CAD (coronary artery disease).

|