Q. I have back pain on standing, sitting and even while sleeping. Please help.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 09, 2020

I have back pain on the left side and cannot move on that side. The pain was between my belly and back, but now it is only on my back at the end of the spinal cord. While sitting, standing, or even sleeping, I can feel the pain in this area and it lasts for one week. I am currently taking Ibubrufen.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

You are very young to actually have persistent back pains. There are many causes of pain in the lower back region. It can be due to faulty posture, related to weak muscles, issues with disc, narrowing of spinal canal, or any bony instability besides many others. So accurate diagnosis is the key to proper management of the condition.

You will have to elaborate on your problem of back pain which means the duration of pain and mode of onset. I would also like to ask you if it is associated with any leg pain or any other neurological symptoms like numbness, paraesthesias (electrical shock like abnormal sensations) or any weakness in limbs?

Please also tell me about any associated symptoms like fever, weight loss, etc. What medications you generally take for your existing problem? If you have localized back pain with no other symptoms like radiating leg pain, neurological symptoms like numbness, weakness, paresthesias, etc, then you can start with following recommendations for an initial period of two to three weeks.

1. Maintain proper posture of your back while working and sleeping.

2. If pain is more then you can take a short course of anti-inflammatory medication like tab Etoricoxib or Paracetamol or one which suits you.

3. Physical therapy initially under the supervision of a trained physiotherapist and then to continue at home.

4. Adequate calcium and vitamin D intake if levels are low in the body.

5. Ice packs can be applied if your pain is acute, then hot fomentation can be done at home.

6. Analgesic spray for local application can be used and is easily available.

7. Avoid lifting heavyweight or acute forward bending in the mornings, etc.

We will observe you for the next two to three weeks on how you respond to this conservative management protocol. If you are not feeling better, then we will have to get some investigations like, dynamic x-rays of lower back and few blood tests for evaluation.

| 

Related Video

How to manage back pain that started after playing Foosball?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a back pain. It just started while I was playing Foosball. The pain goes down to my left thigh, hamstring area, towards the left side of the left knee and to the ankle. I have also got twinging and numb little toe finger on my left foot. I am only applying Volini ointment ...  Read Full »

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

How do I cure my burning upper back pain between the shoulder bones?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a burning like pain on the upper back of my body between the shoulder bones. It happens almost every day after sitting for long or when I lie down for quite some time. What could this be?  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now