Q. What can be a soft lump on penis that is tender to touch?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

My son has a large, soft lump on the penis, partially covered by pubic hair. It has a blister like appearance, but it is not. He says it is tender to touch. What is this? And should we do anything about it? Also, there does not appear to be any liquid coming from it. Please help.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

I have gone through your case history and would help you as best as possible to get your son out of the problem that is bothering. I have had several patients with similar complaints during my practice.

• The description matches that of a bacterial infection, most probably caused by an organism called staphylococcus aureus.
  • Please note the measures to be taken as there is a good probability that the problem will be relieved by following them:
  1. High level of hygiene with frequent cleaning of the area. May use simple water followed by adequate drying.
  2. Blood sugar levels check up to ensure that these are within normal range.
  3. Apply Mupirocin (Bactroban), an antibiotic containing cream twice a day, after cleaning.
  4. Linezolid oral tablets, 600 mg to be taken twice a day for seven days.
  5. Pain killers as required. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg twice a day or more is usually sufficient.
  6. A bacillus or multivitamin preparation to be taken.
  7. The treatment generally starts showing effects within 72 hours.
  • It would be good if you can post some pictures. I will refine the suggestions if necessary in the light of any new information.

Our best wishes to you and your son for his early recovery!

Revert back with the photographs to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|