Q. Will dirty dollars washed along with my underwear further increase my BV infection?

I apologize if this is an odd question but I am very concerned as I have been in treatment for recurrent yeast, and BV infections for over a year. Several dollar bills were accidentally washed (cold cycle, no disinfectant detergent) along with a pair of pants and a load of underwear. The money was lost in the washing machine with my underwear during the whole cycle. I did not realize this until the next day when I went to do another load of laundry because they were crumpled in a corner, so I had to worn a pair of underwear all day that had been washed in the same water as the money. I know that money is absolutely covered in bacteria, and being that the underwear was washed in cold and dried in low heat. I am wondering how likely it is that a vaginal infection will result from them having been in a wash cycle with several dirty dollar bills. Again, I apologize if this query seems a bit paranoid; I am just very afraid of contracting any further vaginal infections, especially not from an accident like this.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I understand your concern. But to me, the probability of contracting infection is very less. Firstly, you are not immunocompromised. Vagina is home to millions of bacteria and whether one will contract infection or not depends on immunity, which I guess is intact in you. Now, concern remained is of STD organisms, out of those candida and BV you already had. These organisms must already be present in your vagina in a low number, so the risk of acquiring this is low.

Also, the probability that those dollars carrying STD organism is less because nobody will frequently touch between note and genitalia. And also these infections will usually occur with sex. Also, most of the viruses are inactivated with drying or sunlight. So overall, risk is very low and I think you should not be worried about it.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Herpes - a Common STD

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed the clinical presentation and treatment of herpes. Read Article

Herpes disease is caused by herpes simplex virus. The herpes simplex virus (HSV) is a double stranded DNA virus, infects humans alone and is almost ubiquitous. There are two closely related species of HSV, type 1 (HSV-1) and type 2 (HSV-2). They cause primary as well as recurrent mucocutaneous infec...  Read Article

What is the cause for yeast infection, gluten and lactose intolerance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30- years-old female. I have yeast infection and intolerance to gluten, lactose nuts, and other few things. I can not eat anything as everything hurts me. If I consume tea, some times I will have diarrhea, the other time I will become tired and have a high heart rate.  Read Full »

How to cure recurrent vaginal yeast infections?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having recurrent vaginal yeast infections for the last six months. I have taken medications earlier. The gynecologist prescribed Azithral 500 mg in the beginning. After that, the doctor gave me tablet Orni-O. The first time it got cured. When it came back again, she presc...  Read Full »