Q. Why do I have bad breath even after maintaining proper oral hygiene?

Dr. Honey Arora
Published on Nov 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I notice I have bad breath no matter how well I maintain proper teeth hygiene. What can help me in this regard?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

• Bad breath, also known as halitosis, can occur due to a number of causes like poor oral hygiene, oral and dental infections, postnasal drip, sinusitis, acid reflux, respiratory infections, diabetes, etc.
  • You should consult an oral physician or an otolaryngologist and get evaluated as a thorough clinical evaluation depending upon suspected causes can help in your treatment. Treatment of the underlying cause will relieve the symptoms.
  • As of now, you should start gargling with a flavored mouthwash twice a day. You should chew a flavored sugar-free chewing gum. Do warm saline gargles twice a day.
  • You also need to limit the intake of high aroma foods like onion and garlic. Drink plenty of water and maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Can halitosis be caused due to gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask about halitosis. I already went to the dentist and the dentist said that the problem is not in the mouth and it could be in my stomach so here I am. I hope you can help me because I am at my wit's end right now. How do I know if it is in the stomach? What should I do? I ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Halitosis or bad breath usually originates from oral or nasal passages. The cause of it is bacterial decay of residual food and debris. Most common causes of halitosis are periodontal diseases, dental caries, oral cavity infection, and coated or uncleaned tongue or decr...  Read Full

Is Augmentin 625 safe to take during the third week of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am three weeks pregnant, and I am suffering from a chest infection. So an ENT specialist doctor prescribed Augmentin 625 tablet. I wanted to know if it is safe to use this antibiotic, as I am pregnant.  Read Full >>

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) is a category B drug, which otherwise means it is very safe in pregnancy. I suggest taking it along with Cetirizine 10 mg at night if you sneeze a lot. Also, do warm saline gargling if you have a sore throat. For further quer...  Read Full

Why do I have bad breath in spite of flossing and using mouthwash?

Query: Hello doctor, Majority of times after I floss and then brush my teeth afterward I use cool mint Listerine mouthwash. I do not understand what is going on but my fiance says I have an unpleasant smell in my mouth. I do not have to be so close to him talking. After I had a wash with the Listerine, I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You do not need to be frustrated. It is very common. There are various factors affecting your bad breath. You can try these things to improve your oral hygiene. Avoid foods and beverages that cause bad breath, eat more fruits and vegetables, take sufficient amount of...  Read Full