Q. Is bariatric surgery advisable for the second time?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Dec 25, 2015 and last reviewed on: Mar 11, 2019

I am 41 years old. I am suffering from hypothyroidism and for which I am taking Thyroxine 175 mcg daily. My height is 5'10" and my current weight is 127 kg. Two years ago, I had sleeve gastrectomy and lost only 20 kg. The surgeon now advised me to get gastric bypass surgery. But I am not comfortable with that. I have attached my recent testosterone report. I feel as if I have low testosterone. How to increase my testosterone levels? I have a history of nasopharynx non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and it got treated successfully by radiation.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I went through your query and the reports (attachment removed to protect identity).

Your testosterone level is normal. Though on the lower side of the normal range, there is nothing needs to be done to increase testosterone. There are medications to increase testosterone levels but it is not needed in your case. You can try some natural methods like doing aerobic exercise, eating more of citrus fruits, eating more of onion and garlic and also wear loose undergarments.

While going through your reports, I noticed that your insulin levels and C-peptide levels are elevated. This suggests that you are having insulin resistance which may lead to diabetes in the future. So, kindly start doing aerobic exercise which will reduce insulin resistance.

Thank you for your response. Since the past six months, my weight has neither increased nor stagnant. My appetite is reduced due to bariatric surgery. I am going the gym at least five times a week for about an hour and religiously use the cross trainer particularly for about 45 minutes at a stretch. It is only the past two weeks that I have been away from the gym due to constant headache, body ache and some infection as the WBC count is high. Is it fine to get second bariatric surgery again? Awaiting for your response.

Dr. Divakara P

#

Well, I sincerely believe there is no need to repeat bariatric surgery. But, you need to increase your exercise intensity more. I need to know your daily calorie intake and the kind of food you eat.

I hope you have consulted a dietitian for low-calorie diet and if not kindly do it. Wait for few more months and increase your intake of fruits and vegetables and reduce the intake of non-vegetarian food, cheese, butter, sweets, and carbonated drinks.

Despite good diet and more physical exercise you gain weight, then consider bariatric surgery. If you are maintaining the same weight or losing a little then no need of surgery but continue the diet and exercise.

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please be advised that a normal ECG while you do not have the palpitation feeling, is not diagnostic of the palpitation. You need to have a cardiac monitor. If the palpitation happens every day, then a 24 hours cardiac monitor should pick them up. If they happen every 2...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now