Q. What are the side effects of barium poisoning?

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

My barium level shows greater than 50. I do not drink or smoke. Currently, I am on Winolap for urticaria. I need some help on this. Thank you.

#

• Barium exposure can be increased if you are in constant exposure, which can occur through pollution also.
  • Do you work in a place where electronics are concerned or travel near factories? Have you been recently under radiological procedure like barium swallow?
  • The above are the potential sources. The pollution causing barium increase is coming up in a big way and so avoid the exposure.

Revert back with the answer to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am working in an IT company. There is no factory nearby. But, my place is full of traffic. Will it cause any side effect? Should I follow any medicine?

#

• The common symptoms of barium poisoning include the following:
  1. Muscle weakness and tremors.
  2. Difficulty in breathing.
  3. Stomach irritations accompanied by diarrhea.
  4. Anxiety.
  5. Cardiac irregularities such as abnormally high blood pressure and rapid heartbeat.
  • If you feel any of the above symptoms, then take treatment for that.
  • Avoid environmental exposure and avoid eating fish that was caught near industrial sites. Ascertain that the fish and seafood you eat does not contain barium or any other heavy metal.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My cholesterol is 205 and it is hereditary as all my family members have high cholesterol. Even if I cut off dairy and non-vegetarian foods, it still stays 200. Is it necessary to take medicine to control it? Is it too high?

#

• You are absolutely right and the cutoff limit of cholesterol is 200. What is your LDL and HDL cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein and high-density lipoprotein)?
  • The new guidelines suggest that LDL should be 70 and HDL should be 70 that is LDL 70 : HDL 70. But, it is very difficult to maintain.
  • At a cholesterol level of 205, I would suggest you to decrease fat in food and follow regular exercise. Avoid smoking and drinking, if you do.
  • If you have any other comorbidities like hypertension, diabetes or strong family history of heart disease, then I suggest a low dose of statin such as Atorvastatin 10 mg. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What measures should I take for deranged triglycerides and HDL?

Query: Hi doctor, My cholesterol is 170, triglycerides are 293, HDL 24 and LDL 107, non-HDL cholesterol 143. What measures should I take and when should I repeat my test?  Read Full »

Should I take medicines for high cholesterol?

Query: Hi doctor, I do not have any health issues. But, my cholesterol level is high at 220. Do I need to take any medicine? Please let me know. I have attached my laboratory reports for your reference.  Read Full »

How can the TG/HDL ratio be reduced?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a complete medical checkup done today. My lipid profile reads total cholesterol 145 mg/dL, HDL 27.5 mg/dL, LDL 93.3 mg/dL, triglyceride 195 mg/dL and VLDL 39 mg/dL. Is this very concerning? Especially, I am concerned regarding the TG/HDL ratio. Please advice. My echo, ECG, and stres...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»