Q. Can I cover up my birthmark with a tattoo?

I am attaching a picture of a mark. Can you tell me if this is a melanoma? It has been that size for a long time but, it looks a little weird.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

From your description and the given picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems you have a mole or melanocytic nevus. They are considered benign melanomas and nothing actively needs to be done for them.

If the mole shows a sudden increase in size, differential pigmentation, bleeding, irregular borders, etc., then you may go for a skin biopsy.

If you want to get it removed for purely cosmetic reasons, then you may choose any of the following:

1. Shave excision under a local anesthesia by a dermatologist.
  2. TCA (trichloroacetic acid) cautery.
  3. Radiofrequencycautery.
  4. Laser treatment.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Also, I have a light brown birthmark on the side of my ribs. I want to cover it up with a tattoo. It is not raised.

My doctor told me that it was just a discoloration. But, I want a second opinion.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

From your description, it seems you have a Becker's nevus (birth mark). Please get a review with a picture for confirmation of diagnosis. If it is a Becker nevus, you can go for a laser removal in the place of a tattoo.

The earliest finding of a Becker nevus is an asymptomatic irregular tan to brown patch, most commonly located over the shoulder, upper chest, or back.

Therapeutic intervention for Becker nevus is primarily for cosmetic reasons.

Q-switched ruby laser (694 nm) has been used with variable success in the treatment of the hyperpigmentation of Becker nevus.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thanks for your reply. I do not want to go for laser surgery. I would much better get a tattoo. Would that be any harm?

Like I said, it is not raised. I went to a doctor and he said that the birthmark is not cancerous.

If I get a tattoo over it, would that cause problems?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have read your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is a Becker's nevus. The only problem with this kind of a nevus is a subsequent change in the morphology and hair growth over the nevus.

The histopathology of this type of nevus shows an increase in melanin in the basal epidermal layer and in the dermis, the number of arrector pili muscles are increased.

The tattoo dye can also get accumulated in the dermis. So, there may be chances of it converting to a smooth muscle hamartoma.

Tattoos, by itself, are associated with many complications like sarcoidosis, keloid formation, etc.

So, in my opinion, you should not go for tattooing this area.

The mole on my arm has two different brown shades. Give me your opinion please.

Query: Hi doctor,I have got a mole on my arm that measures 5 mm and is flat. I have always had this mole. I have not noticed it changing and it has not bled or itched. I am a bit concerned though that it has two different brown shades in it and would like your opinion on it, please.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, I have seen few important things. It is irregular in shape (do not know whether it is in this shape from the beginning), which is not a good sign in my opinion. Secondly, there is ...  Read Full

I have an infection on my penis that is not healing. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old unmarried male. I have a patch on the inner part of the skin that covers the penis. I consulted a doctor. He asked me to take Cefix 200 twice daily, Atazis 1/2 morning and 1 in the evening for five days and MF Sudif ointment. He then asked me to continue these for ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the image, it appears to be psoriasis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You will need a physical examination as well as skin biopsy and dermoscopy for a confirmation. Please visit a dermatologist for the same. Please provide me the following infor...  Read Full

Does radiation therapy increase the risk of melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, 21 years ago, my friend had radiation therapy for a very small breast cancer. In the recent years, breast areola becomes dry. Biopsies revealed no cancer. She was followed closely by an oncologist and a dermatologist with number of tests. Recently, a mole appeared in the areola region. Th...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Post radiation therapy, the skin does suffer a burnt both immediate as well as on a long term. Dryness, itching leading to oozing and crusting are very common complaints after radiotherapy and can start as late as 15 to 20 years too after the treatment. Radiation therap...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now