Q. Why am I bloated even after taking medications?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

I am a 31-year-old female. I need medical advice. I have stomach bloating. The food I eat at night feels like it comes back to my mouth and it has this bitter and acidic taste. I feel nauseous because of this. I have mild chest pain and abdominal pains as well. I did an H.pylori blood test which came back positive, so I have been on antibiotics for almost a month. I have also taken a kidney function test, blood tests, and liver function test.

Additionally, to inform you, I was told I have uterine fibroids from my CT scan, I have pelvic pains, and I have also been having fat stools with severe constipation, which leads to anal tears and itching. Sometimes, the lower abdominal pain reduces after passing stool. I always feel tired, barely sleep at night, and always moody. Would you please give me your valuable opinion on this?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. Your problem is explainable by your weight and partly explained by the course of antibiotics you are taking. And there are certain other things like diet, lack of exercise, and underlying endocrinological problems like thyroid or diabetes, which could explain your situation. We need to test everything to make sure what is causing these issues. If everything turns out negative, we will improve your diet and weight and give you some medications to control your symptoms. Gas, bloating, and acid reflux are everyday things that can happen to anybody. The treatment is often simple. However, with no specialist opinion, things can go bothersome, as in your case, the very example is that someone prescribed your antibiotic treatment for a positive H.pylori blood test. We never treat those who only come with positive reports because this is a test used to remain positive in individuals who had H.pylori infection many years back, and they may not have an active infection.

Well, for now, I advise you to use capsule Rifaximin 200 mg thrice daily, capsule Esomeprazole 40 mg thrice daily, tablet Levosulpiride 25 mg thrice daily a half an hour before meals. Also, take Isabgol husk two tablespoons full with water for constipation or altered bowel movements. Take all these medicines for two weeks and stop all antibiotics. I suggest you get the following reports like complete blood count, thyroid-stimulating hormone test (TSH), free thyroxine (FT4), random blood sugar, creatinine, and stool detail reports.

Thank you for your response.

Could you please tell me what stool tests I should get? I have the creatinine, blood sugar, and complete blood count tests. I have already done specific tests advised by you.

#

Based on the rest of your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) everything seems normal. I would suggest you get a simple stool detail report. Also, get a thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and free thyroxine (FT4) test. Please do start your medicines.

|