Q. Can I use Benzodiazepine for a longer period?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Published on Jun 20, 2019

I am 29 years old male, with height 5' 10" and weight 75 kgCurrently, I am on

1. Clonazepam 2 mg one tablet during the night.

2. Trazine-S half tablet during night.

I have been suffering from a borderline personality disorder (BPD) along with symptoms of anxiety, panic disorder, extreme irritability, anger, and so on. So for that, I have been prescribed with the above medicines for the past seven months. Came to know that Benzodiazepines like Clonazepam should not be consumed for more than a month, but in my case, I have been drinking it for more than seven months. The doctor is not tapering off the dosage either. So is it safe to continue? What shall I do? Kindly help.

#

If it is the requirement of Benzodiazepines than you need to take for long periods. There is nothing wrong to take medication for a long time if you are stable on it. Theoretically and ideally, Benzodiazepine should be tapered off within four weeks, but in clinical practice, we have to give it for an extended period, depending upon the patient diseases. If you have no anxiety or sleep disturbance, then you can taper off your way. You can make it half of your tablet for two weeks then take half tablet alternate day for two weeks and then you can stop it.

| 

Do I need a drug other than Clonazepam to control non-stop panic attacks?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been on Klonopin that is Clonazepam prescribed before 14 years for panic attacks and anxiety. I am currently on the 2 mg dosage and taking it four times a day. This is monitored every few months by my family doctor. For the past one week, I have noticed that I have been experienc...  Read Full »

Can I take anxiety medicines in pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 18 weeks pregnant and have symptoms of severe anxiety and insomnia. Can I take anxiety medicine in pregnancy? Please help. I used to take Melzap 0.25 mg and Etilam 0.25 mg.  Read Full »

Are depression, insomnia, and anxiety withdrawal symptoms of Xanax?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking 0.5 mg Xanax for sleeping most nights for the past 2 to 3 months. I bought it myself and took it to help me sleep. I have started trying to stop, or take less, and have noticed feelings of depression, insomnia, feeling anxious, and an aching neck and jaw and feeling...  Read Full »