Q. OCT scan for pseudo-papilledema shows dilution. Is it possible for the dilution to be fake?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

I did an OCT scan for the first time last week, but it appears that the sup / nas is slightly diluted. Well, I was born with an optic nerve abnormality they call it pseudo-papilledema. I was born with high hyperopia en strabismus (high hyperopia may be associated with blurring of the optic disk margin) thats it. My question is, is it possible that this dilution is fake? Or is it possible that the OCT is not working properly in my eyes?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I have gone through the OCT (optic coherence tomography) reports of your left eye. (attachment removed to proteect patient identity).

I understand that you have been informed that you have pseudo papilloedema of your left eye.

Let me explain to you in very simple words what pseudo papilloedema means and what an OCT actually does.

The term "pseudo" papilloedema, as the name suggests is an appearance of false swelling of the optic disc. Here even though the disc is normal it appears to be swollen and hence named so.

An OCT is an imaging modality, it simply can image a structure (in the eye) and tell us exact measurements of its heights, extent, cellular number, etc. It does so by comparing age and race matched set of control data to your eye. (Indicated by the black colored dotted line on the right-hand side of the black & white retina image). Most of this line in your eye falls well within the normal range (green background) so it is reasonably normal.

It is however not able to measure function or how well the eye/ that structure is performing. To further simplify, your eyes do not have any true problem with the optic nerve. Secondly, a functional assessment of the nerves cannot be done using an OCT.

In case you feel that you would like to have further tests done, I would like to advise you regarding getting a check of your intraocular pressure and visual field tests along with regular eye tests.

I personally feel that as long as you do not have any symptoms, do not have anyone in the family with glaucoma and hypermetropia less than three, there is no further need to be worried about this.

| 

My ophthalmologist says that the decrease that is a bit in sup / nas is due to my high hyperopia and the pseudo papilledema in the optic nerves. Because of that, I get no measurements like in normal people. Is this correct? The OCT is also different every time, a little higher and then a little lower.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Yes, I agree with what your ophthalmologist said and it is the same explanation as I gave you regarding your condition in my previous reply.

I would again like to reassure you that it is not a cause for concern, but in case you want to get it checked, then the best option is to get a visual field test or perimetry.

| 

Should I see a doctor for a constant headache?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old male, for the last month and a half, I feel a pressure on the back of my head. It sometimes causes mild pain in different parts of my head, like the sides of my head. It makes me feel hot sometimes as well. I also have some neck pain, but it is not much. This headache...  Read Full »

I have glaucoma and astigmatism. How can the vision and headaches be cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 48 years old, female. I have been diagnosed with starting glaucoma and I have all OCT scans and glaucoma screening results. I would like to know what precisely is happening with my eye. I had a bad vision already for 3 to 4 years and was wearing glasses but now it is not comfortable...  Read Full »

Can you guide us regarding my husband's frequent headache?

Query: Hello doctor,My husband is having very frequent headache problem for at least twice or thrice in a week. We have consulted eye specialist as well as an ENT specialist, but in the test everything is good. Now, we are worried about his problem. Can you suggest or guide us about the reason?  Read Full »