Q. Can you guide us regarding my husband's frequent headache?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 24, 2021

My husband is having very frequent headache problem for at least twice or thrice in a week. We have consulted eye specialist as well as an ENT specialist, but in the test everything is good. Now, we are worried about his problem. Can you suggest or guide us about the reason?

#

I want to ask a few questions related to your husband's headache.

• Since how long he have these headaches? For how much time the episode of a headache will last?
  • Is there any associated nausea or vomiting during headaches? How is his sleep?
  • I suggest you get an MRI of the brain. If MRI comes out to be normal, then maybe he is suffering from a migraine or other primary headache syndrome.
  • Also, such high frequency of headaches may need some regular medicines.

MRI brain.

1. Migraine headache.
2. Tension type headache.

Revert with the report to a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thanks a lot for your reply. Since last 4 to 5 years, he is having this problem. The headache duration will always be different. Sometimes, it will continue until one day and sometimes, 2 to 3 hours. He does not have any other irritations during headache. He suffers from only mild headache and sometimes, it will be more painful. But, a couple of days back while having a headache he had vomiting as well. Actually, due to office timings he has to be awake until late night sometimes till 1 AM in the night and also he is not used to of it. I am not sure if this can be one of the reason. Roughly, he sleeps 7 hours in a day. Whenever the pain starts he takes Flexon tablet to reduce the pain and around twice or thrice in a week he takes this medication. We will get MRI scan for his brain. Once it is done, I will provide you the result and meanwhile, let me know if he can continue taking the same tablet. Is there any side effects? Thank you very much.

#

• Get an MRI brain done and also get an ophthalmic examination to get intraocular pressure and fundus examination to rule out papilledema.
  • Please ask him about trigger factors, which he feel causes an increase in headache.
  • Instead of flexon MR (Chlorzoxazone), I suggest him tablet Naxdom (Naproxen) for an acute headache.

Revert with the reports to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thanks for the advice. Trigger factors may be varied at the time of a headache. Sometimes, he says it is because of cold drinks, sour food or drink and sometimes, lack of sleep. So, we are not able to identify the specific factor behind it. Once we are done with all the test, I will get back to you for further consultation.

#

You are welcome. Please revert after MRI brain and ophthalmic examination are done.

|