Q. My daughter is under treatment for depression and having hallucination. What is the treatment?

Dr.
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 21, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 24, 2019

My adult child, 25 years old, was admitted to a psychiatric hospital for depression and suicidal thoughts. She had therapy for several years. However, when visiting tonight, she mentioned voices and hallucinations. I was taken back bc she never mentioned that before. The nurse said it was possible 1st breakthrough. My question is would not I have noticed those symptoms before now? It left me uneasy and skeptical, and I do not know what to think. Also wondering would they start medicating her for that if she had not had the test or diagnosed?

#

I can certainly understand your concern. I have worked through your attached query in detail. Hallucinations like hearing voices can be a feature of severe depression. They can occur if depression progresses through higher grades. It does not imply that you have missed making a note of them. Severe depression with hallucinations is termed as psychotic depression. It requires intensive care in a hospital setting. Antipsychotics, along with antidepressants, are the mainstay of treatment.

My son is worried and depressed about his final exams. Kindly advise.

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 22 years old and doing final year college. He used to be good at studies. During his first year college, he was in love with a girl and that was a one side affair. So, he became depressed. He was diagnosed with acute psychosis and treated with Divalproex sodium and Olanzapine....  Read Full »

How to stay mentally healthy without gaining weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been using Risperidone 2 mg, Escitalopram 10 mg for psychosis and Met XL 25 mg for hypertension. My weight is 103 kg and my height is 5'7". How to stay mentally healthy without gaining weight? I walk for 5 km for five days a week. I am maintaining a diet with morning tiffin, oil-l...  Read Full »

Why is my son put on Paroxetine in spite of having bad withdrawals previously?

Query: Hello doctor, My 28 year old son is being treated for bipolar disorder and depression. He has been on and off antidepressants since he was 16 years old due to high anxiety issues. He just started with 50 mg Serquiler one to two tablets at night, 600 mg Gabapentin thrice a day, 20 mg Paxil once a day...  Read Full »