Q. My father has bladder spasms after a bladder scraping. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My dad had a scraping of his bladder two months ago, it was extremely painful afterward, supposed to be a day surgery, he had to spend next two days in the hospital, with horrific bladder spasms. When he came home, he has had numerous, constant UTIs and also a kidney infection more weeks going to the hospital for IV antibiotics, and now again on antibiotics at home for another UTI. His bladder cancer is in the earliest of stages.

His surgeon most likely wants to scrape 1 or 2 more times. He said he maybe got 70 percent of it the first time. I do not wish to my dad to go through more pain and complications. What can you recommend? Should he be monitored and if it gets into the wall later have his bladder removed?

The bladder spasm could be due to infection, coexisting enlarged prostate, or any intra-bladder chemo medicine given after surgery. Treating his disease is the first step. Urine cultures will help. Giving anticholinergics is next step to relax the bladder. The third will be to do a uroflow if not done and treat his prostate if there is any obstruction to flow. You may send any reports if you have them. Removing the bladder is a valuable exercise and is the last resort for superficial tumors.

For deep tumors or recurrent tumors, there is no other option but the removal of bladder or radiotherapy. Better to preserve the bladder and treat tumor endoscopically if it is not deep or aggressive. For symptomatic relief, you may ask for Pyridium tablets (Phenazopyridine) or Amitryptylline as a temporary measure to reduce the burning.

I have a constant urge to urinate. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old woman. This problem started about four years ago around the same time I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. And, I suffer from a constant and persistent urge to urinate concentrated in my urethra. Sometimes, it is accompanied with pressure, discomfort, sli...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may be suffering from an underactive bladder. Tablet Urivoid (Bethanechol) one tablet in the morning and evening should help. If possible, send me the urodynamics report with graphs. For more information consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a...  Read Full

Apart from UTI, what would be the reason for lower abdominal pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband is 28 years old. He has had lower abdominal pain since two months. I have marked the paining area in the attached picture. He has pain in the area just behind this in the back also. The pain is mild about 0.5 in 10 scale and sometimes 2 or 3 out of 10. There is a mild burning ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivekanandan G
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at your husband's urine routine examination report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is very clear that it is unlikely to be UTI in any form. I think the groin pain could be non-specific. It may be related to your posture, nature of work, etc. I...  Read Full

Please explain where my symptoms are leading to.

Query: Hi doctor, My symptoms over the last four months are as follows. I sat down on my mother's bed and could not get up. I had severe pain in lower back on left side shooting down my leg. They felt like electric shocks and it lasted for a little over a week. During that time I had a lot of memory issue...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These all symptoms could be unrelated but can be related too. In my opinion, you should be evaluated for multiple sclerosis. A person with ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or multiple sclerosis (MS) can have almost any neurological symptom or sign. Autonomic, visua...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now