Q. I am on Accutane and had severe bleeding from nose today. Please advise.

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

I have been using Accutane for seven months. I am currently in the last two weeks of my last round of treatment. In the past one and a half weeks, I have been experiencing relatively bad headaches that have not gotten any worse. Yesterday, I experienced a severe nosebleed that lasted for about two minutes. Pretty quickly after stopping the first nosebleed I experienced a second nosebleed that resulted in me pulling a blood clot out of my nose that was approximately 1 inch long and 2 cm wide. My concern is that I am running a half marathon in two days and I am unsure of whether I should go through with this or I should let my body rest. Please advise.

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

• Nosebleed is quite common with Isotretinoin. However, the symptom may resolve fast on discontinuation of the tablet.
  • I suggest if you are planning a marathon in two days, then discontinue this tablet for a while. Also, get your blood pressure checked as it may also cause blood pressure shot up.
  • Do not worry for a nosebleed. Usually marathon has a paramedic team, which can attend you. Live your life and do go for the marathon. Good luck.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

After starting Isotretinoin, my facial hair has increased. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am female of 25 years old. My weight is 58 kg and height is 5'3". I am suffering from acne problem for the past 5 years. I tried many antibiotics. Now, I am on Isotretinoin for more than a month and it has really cleared my acne. But, my facial hair has increased. Will it become worse i...  Read Full »

Is Isotretinoin a good tablet for acne?

Query: Hi doctor, I have deep acne on the face for more than 10 years and for which my doctor has prescribed Isotretinoin drug Isokon 20 mg. The medicine seems to show a lot of improvement for acne. However, I feel that it has some side effects as I feel tired with burning eyes. Is this normal? Is Isotre...  Read Full »