Q. Other than medicines, how can I control my blood sugar?

Answered by
Dr. Pooja Pardhi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am a 53 year old male. My height is 5'7" and weight is 96 kg. I am diabetic since 15 years and have BP for the past 20 years. Along with this, I have bipolar since birth.

Hence, taking psychiatric medicine too. I am on Lantus 20 units in the night and NovoRapid 10 units before lunch. Taking Glycigon 80 mg twice a day and LN Bloc 20 mg for BP. This is not controlling my blood sugar.

Blood sugar is around 200 in fasting and 280 after lunch. I am functioning well due to bipolar disorder medicines. Kindly suggest.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to Icliniq.com.

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern.

  • You need to reduce your weight and modify your diet and lifestyle.
  • According to your weight and height you should consume appropriate amount of calories per day.
  • You need to go for daily exercise and at least 30 minutes brisk walk daily.
  • You can take 5 units of NovoRapid Insulin before dinner and increase Insulin NovoRapid dose to 12 units before lunch.
  • Check your hbA1c (glycated hemoglobin).

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Hello doctor,

I have noted your advice and will increase dose of NovoRapid as described. Thank you.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • You should maintain your weight between 70-75 kg and as per your body weight and height you require about 1200 calories per day.
  • Dietician will give you diet chart according to daily calories requirement. You have to tell the dietician the daily calorie requirement. It will be better to meet dietician personally.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.