Q. Other than medicines, how can I control my blood sugar?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
Published on Aug 14, 2018

I am a 53 year old male. My height is 5'7" and weight is 96 kg. I am diabetic since 15 years and have BP for the past 20 years. Along with this, I have bipolar since birth.

Hence, taking psychiatric medicine too. I am on Lantus 20 units in the night and NovoRapid 10 units before lunch. Taking Glycigon 80 mg twice a day and LN Bloc 20 mg for BP. This is not controlling my blood sugar.

Blood sugar is around 200 in fasting and 280 after lunch. I am functioning well due to bipolar disorder medicines. Kindly suggest.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

Welcome to Icliniq.com.

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern.

• You need to reduce your weight and modify your diet and lifestyle.
  • According to your weight and height you should consume appropriate amount of calories per day.
  • You need to go for daily exercise and at least 30 minutes brisk walk daily.
  • You can take 5 units of NovoRapid Insulin before dinner and increase Insulin NovoRapid dose to 12 units before lunch.
  • Check your hbA1c (glycated hemoglobin).

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have noted your advice and will increase dose of NovoRapid as described. Thank you.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

• You should maintain your weight between 70-75 kg and as per your body weight and height you require about 1200 calories per day.
  • Dietician will give you diet chart according to daily calories requirement. You have to tell the dietician the daily calorie requirement. It will be better to meet dietician personally.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I like to tell you that you are doing a great job by managing strict diet restrictions and regular exercises.¬†Please do continue exercising for at least 45 minutes daily. Now, coming to your concern regarding the medications, Insulin is definitely the most natur...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article