Q. Does the same blood group of couple create problem to the baby?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I am 28 years old. I am planning to get married to a girl who is known to me. We have a very good understanding and we love each other. But, we have the same blood group that is B positive. Since blood group is a factor for having babies, do you think having the same positive blood group could create problems for future generation? My brother-in-law told me that if husband and wife have the same blood group, future generation (babies) will have to face problems like a disabled child, died baby born, etc. He told me it could create a problem and he does not want me to marry this girl. So, I am in great trouble right now. How can I give a clear explanation to my parents and my relatives about this issue?

My questions are does the same blood group create a problem? If yes, then what basically create problems? And how to overcome this problem I mean the solution to this problem? Are there any precautions that need to be considered for having a baby after getting married to the same blood group?

#

The same blood group people can marry and can produce a normal child. The same blood group is not at all contraindication for marriage and to produce the child. So do not worry about that. But if you both are relative, then genetic counseling before conception is necessary. If you really want to investigate, then rule out thalassemia minor report before marriage, that is of utmost importance.

|