Q. What causes blood in semen with ejaculation?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I have blood in sperm after ejaculation for about three days and there is a very little to no burning sensation. I have no sexual relations over a year. I feel fine and consume alcohol every day. I am obese with high blood pressure and cholesterol. My urine is very concentrated because I am always dehydrated.

#

Blood in ejaculation mostly refers to inflammation of the prostate, seminal vesicles, or ejaculatory ducts which represents the tract and the way semen pass through. This inflammation can be caused by infection or sometimes without infection.

I need to ask a few questions. Is it the first time you get this problem? Are you circumcised or not? Were you treated with any urological problems? Do you have any urinary complaints? For investigations, we need urine analysis, urine culture, semen analysis and ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder).

Do not worry you can start tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for four weeks but after sending samples as I said for culture otherwise your results will not be accurate. Please follow up with the answers to my questions and results after investigations done.

I am having this problem for three days now. Yes, I am circumcised. I have very concentrated urine due to excessive alcohol drinking every day. No pain when I urinate, just a slight sting when I begin to urinate. No history of urinary issues. No sexual activity for a year.

#

Since no pain, you just go ahead with investigations and antibiotic treatment as I prescribed. Hopefully, your culture match the antibiotic and ultrasound KUB request, then follow up to see how to manage. I hope there will be no further issues as this problem can persist for a long time therefore follow up is important.

|