Q. I am a 39-year-old male with constipation, fatigue, blood in stools, etc. Is this due to colorectal cancer?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

I have bloating issues, changed bowel habits (mostly constipation), fatigue, bleeding after defecation, and maroon blood mixed with the stool. I have these symptoms for two weeks that emerged quite suddenly. Is this a strong sign of colorectal cancer? I am still waiting for the results of the fecal screening, and I am so nervous. I am a 39-year-old male with no family history of colorectal cancer and no major health problems. Currently, I am taking Wellbutrin and Lamictal. I did smoke for many years, but now I have quit. Thank you so much.

#

Based on your query, I can gather that you are a 39-year-old male without significant family history and with a history of smoking. Your symptoms of bloating, altered bowel habits, and blood in stools are of short duration (two weeks). I would like to know whether you had any fever, pain while passing stools, feeling of lump or swelling near the anal area, any weight loss or appetite loss. As your symptoms are of two weeks, and there is a history of constipation followed by passage of blood in stools, I would consider benign causes like hemorrhoids or anal fissure first. Colon cancer would be very unlikely considering your age and negative family history. It is mainly seen above 50 years of age. The median age is around 65 years. I would advise you to get an initial blood investigation along with fecal screening and examination by a doctor for any fissures or hemorrhoids. If these are not indicative of any cause and bleeding is persistent, you will need a colonoscopy for diagnosis.

Meanwhile, to avoid constipation, keep your diet soft with more liquids and fiber. Avoid straining while passing stools. I would be happy to help you further if you have any more questions.

|