Q. Kindly evaluate the blood test report.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Kindly evaluate my mother's blood test report. The RDW is 14.6. How can we interpret the value of RDW? She is on Nebicart 5 mg, Matilda Forte, Calright, and Caat 20 mg.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

RDW is nothing but red blood cell distribution width which signifies the size of red blood cells.

Increase in RDW have two probable diagnosis and one is due to iron deficiency and the second is due to folate and B12 deficiency.

Before to comment on diagnosis, I just want you to clear a few details about ur mother's health condition.

Has she had any history of blood loss like abnormal bleeding during menstruation or any other health issues.

Had you consumed non-vegetarian food or have you restricted only to vegetarian?

Is there any history of a tingling sensation or burning sensation in the feet?

Kindly mention any health issues like hypertension, diabetes, or thyroid disorder?

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Answers are below:

• She has not had any history of blood loss like abnormal bleeding during menstruation.
  • She has consumed only vegetarian food.
  • She occasionally has a tingling sensation in the hands.
  • Yes, my mother suffers from hypertension and takes Nebicart 5 mg,Caat 20, Matilda Forte.
  • My mother also suffers from RA but now the RA is under control.
  • She is not diabetic. The thyroid test one year ago was normal.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

There is an increase in RDW (red blood cell diameter width) due to iron deficiency.

She is on a purely vegetarian diet and will not be able to supply sufficient amount of vitamin B12.

All tingling sensations are due to low levels of B12 and iron.

It is advisable to have at least two egg whites per day.

I suggest you take tablet folic acid once daily for one month before meals or food and tablet Becosules (multivitamin) one tablet in the evening daily for one month. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

When taken with food, it will alter iron absorption which may not be sufficient for the body.An excess amount of taking antacids will affect the absorption of vitamin B12.

| 

I have increased white cells, proteins, leucocytes and epithelial cells in my urine. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is 48 years old, and her weight is 65 kilograms. She has RBC of 5.6 mcL, Hb of 15.3 g/dL, and creatinine of 0.9 mg/dL. The urine report shows white cells of 60 to 80 WBCs per high power field. There are traces of proteins, leucocytes, and epithelial cells also.  Read Full »

Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, My best friend has been suffering lately from deficiency of vitamin B12. Our doctor informed us that he suffers from depression and anxiety because of vitamin deficiency. Is it possible? His dad died when he was 10, so I observed that he takes it so seriously when he feels that he is n...  Read Full »

Can chest pain result from vitamin B12 deficiency?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I have been diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency and I am taking medicines from last month. I have a slight pain in the left side of my chest and also below my chest. My ECG is normal.  Read Full »