Q. Do you think that my mom needs surgery for her benign brain tumor?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2021

My mom was admitted to the hospital due to an extreme headache, clicking sound in the head and high blood pressure. CAT scan revealed that she had a benign brain tumor and no surgery will probably be needed. After making an MRI, another neurosurgeon said she would have to remove it as it could lead to blindness and difficulty talking and moving. After contacting another neurosurgeon for advice he said no surgery is needed. I would appreciate if you could take a look at the MRI images and give me advice because they are already preparing her for the surgery this week and I am not even sure if it is necessary. Thank you.

#

• The lesion in the MRI brain of your mom is a small one on the left side. It is very adjacent to dura mater and showing contrast enhancement.
  • This size of the lesion is very less likely to produce a headache by pressure effect. But, it is very important to find the exact nature of the lesion, and it is possible by biopsy of the lesion.
  • And, the lesion is very superficial and can be taken out completely by surgery.
  • In such scenario, it is a right decision to go for surgery to remove it and send it for histopathology examination to know what kind of lesion it is.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|