Q. My dad's MRI reported a tumor. Is that a cancerous one?

Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

My father is 56 years old and healthy. Since last few months, he is suffering from sudden chewing like action and unconsciousness or seizure like situation. This situation remains the same for some time. During the MRI test, our doctor informed about the tumor. We are very much worried. Is it a cancer problem or other tumor? He does not want to undergo surgery for this. Kindly suggest what to do. I am attaching the reports of MRI and our doctor's prescription.

#

I have gone through your query with diligence and I would like you to know that I am here to help you.

• The reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) denote that there are two problems. Reduced blood supply to brain and a small tumor (brain cancer).
  • As per MRI report, this tumor is grade 1. So, it is better to operate now itself as it can be removed and cure can be achieved.
  • If this spreads, then we may not be able to cure it.

For further doubts consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

I have a few more doubts. What may be the reason for reduced blood supply? Is it due to tumor? Do we need any radiotherapy or chemotherapy after surgery? The tumor is cancerous or not?

#

• The blood supply is reduced due to a neck problem. He must have had neck pain for a long time. Either it was not treated or some alternative medicine was taken. That has resulted in reduced blood supply.
  • The mode of treatment such as radiotherapy or chemotherapy depends on the nature of the tumor. That can be decided only after we remove the tumor by surgery and do a histopathological examination.
  • As per MRI report, it is cancer. But, to be sure, we have to remove the tumor and do a histopathological examination.

For further information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

|