Q. How to confirm the integrity of breast implant?

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I have silicone mentor gel smooth round moderate profile breast implants that were placed befor years. I have reason to believe I have what the community is calling breast implant illness. I am curious if the integrity of the implant is intact and if there are any lesions that could be free-floating silicone The right breast is a 350 cc implant and the left is 400 cc.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Breast implant illness is a term associated with symptoms of health concerns in women having breast implant surgery done. It includes a wide spectrum of physical symptoms and commonly involves fatigue, chest pain, headaches, anxiety, vision problems, nerve, and hormone problems. This is not officially a confirmed medical term in use and is a more general expression of symptoms.

However, one should not ignore if there is a likely possibility of implant rupture. MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan is useful to search for any areas of rupture in silicone implants if there is a clinical indication. You can get an MRI breast scan done and it will confirm the integrity of the implant.

| 

I had done an MRI today. Please advise on the MRI included.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

There are 14 series of images in the MRI breast scan done.

Observations:

The silicone implants are visualized in the sub-glandular plane in bilateral breasts. As visualized, the volume of the right breast implant is lesser than the left. There is no infection or edema surrounding the bilateral breast implants. There is no capsular contracture and the anterior-posterior diameter and transverse diameter of the bilateral implants are symmetrical and normal. There is no abnormal bulging, tenting or significant surface irregularity. The minimal wavy pattern in the posterior part of the implants is not significant and acceptable. There is no obvious area of intracapsular rupture in bilateral breasts. The silicone areas are homogeneously T2 hyperintense and show clear content. The few curvilinear lines in the inner part of bilateral breast implants are radial folds and are a normal visualization. There is no serious concern for the folds. There is no obvious extracapsular breach. No leak of silicone is visualized surrounding bilateral breast implants.

There is no significant abnormal finding due to the breast implants in the MRI scan images.

| 

MRI shows 'intermediate signal intensity lesion in endometrial cavity.' What is it?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother aged 55 years got an MRI with an observation of 'intermediate signal intensity lesion noted in the endometrial cavity measuring 19x28x24, in the fundal body region with loss of endometrial interface. Tethering of sigmoid colon with distal ileal loops to the uterus in fundus re...  Read Full »

Concerned about leakage of silicon from ruptured breast implant. How dangerous is this?

Query: Hi doctor, Before eight years, my daughter underwent breast surgery. After that, she had a baby who is 18 months of age now. Before a month, she felt pain in one breast and went to GP. He did an X-ray, which showed a tear in one of the implants. Yesterday she visited a surgeon. He informed her tha...  Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

Ask a Radiologist Now