Q. Does my wife have breast cancer?

Dr. Sivaprakash Rathinasamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

My wife noticed a small lump in the left armpit. We went to a gynecologist and she said nothing to worry as the lump was painful. With her medicines, the lump became small, but did not completely vanish. So, we went to a general surgeon. She found two lumps in the breast and referred for a scan. My wife has been taking Vitamin D supplements for the past two months and it was prescribed by an orthopedician. I have enclosed her reports. Does my wife have breast cancer?

Dr. Sivaprakash Rathinasamy

Surgical Oncology
#

• As per your scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is not cancer. It is a type of tumor in breast, which can occur commonly in this age group.
  • It will not turn malignant. If you want to double confirm, then ask your doctor for FNAC needle test (fine needle aspiration cytology).
  • It needs surgical removal only if the size increase or it is painful.

Hormonal and developmental.

FNAC optional.

Observation.

For further doubts consult a surgical oncologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-oncologist

| 

We feel some relief from your answer. We are going to show this report to our doctor tomorrow. Can this be cured by medicine?

Dr. Sivaprakash Rathinasamy

Surgical Oncology
#

• No, it will not respond to medicines.
  • It may subside after menopause or due course of time. If symptomatic, then surgical removal is needed.

For further information consult a surgical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-oncologist

| 

I am enclosing the FNAC report of my wife's left breast. Please have a look and convey your opinion.

Dr. Sivaprakash Rathinasamy

Surgical Oncology
#

• FNAC shows no malignancy. So, be on regular followup with the doctor six monthly.

| 

It has been a great relief for us. Is it required to do excision and histopathology correlation as per the scanning report? Will this benign lead to breast cancer?

Dr. Sivaprakash Rathinasamy

Surgical Oncology
#

• You can follow up once in six months if no symptoms like pain and increasing size.
  • It will not become cancerous. But, the risk of cancer developing from other parts of the breast will be the same as other women.

For further doubts consult a surgical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-oncologist

| 
Doctor, this is follow up scanning report. What is the difference between previous report and present one. Is the benign increased in size.

Dr. Sivaprakash Rathinasamy

Surgical Oncology
# Hi
Looks same or reduced only.. kindly followup with your local surgeon hereafter..
Regards

|