Q. What does my PFT report suggest?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

I had a PFT done. When I asked about the results my doctor said they were fine. That was not good enough. I have FEV1/FVC ratio of 64 %. Increase in residual volume to 156 %. What does this mean? My echo is with EF of 50%. I am a 31 year old, non-smoker. I am a wildland firefighter. I am 6'2", overweight and I have pitting edema in my legs up to my knees for about 3/4 inches deep. I have been using Albuterol every 30 minutes or so for about six months now. Every day is worse and I am so exhausted. I cannot exhale. I am air hungry, but too full to inhale. Sometimes I have a bitter, thick clear jelly when I cough up. There is no pus, green or yellow though and it is somewhat like a sticky jelly. I am currently taking Spironolactone and Advair. Please help.

#

Thank you for writing your query elaborately.

• From your history it is very clear that you are suffering from asthma. That is the reason for your difficulty in breathing very often.
  • Your pulmonary function test (PFT) report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is also suggestive of bronchial asthma.
  • Asthma is a chronic disease due to allergy to some trigger surrounding you.
  • As it is a chronic disease, it can never be cured, but you can control it. Controlled asthma helps you live a normal life.
  • For good control of asthma, you must take preventer inhaler regularly.
  • Albuterol is a reliever inhaler. It is advised to take Albuterol only for emergency use. Regularly you should take Seretide inhaler (combination of Fluticasone and Salmeterol xinafoate) 250 one puff twice daily followed by gargles with plain water.
  • Take Seretide 250 inhaler for one month and if you do not have good control then see your pulmonologist. He will help you adjust the dose accordingly.
  • Albuterol will never control your asthma in long run. Instead, it will worsen the underlying inflammation. So, I advise you to start the proper inhaler treatment and it will help you live a normal life.

Allergy.

Avoid known allergen.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|