Q. What does my PFT report suggest?

Answered by
Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

Hello doctor,

I had a PFT done. When I asked about the results my doctor said they were fine. That was not good enough. I have FEV1/FVC ratio of 64 %. Increase in residual volume to 156 %. What does this mean? My echo is with EF of 50%. I am a 31 year old, non-smoker. I am a wildland firefighter. I am 6'2", overweight and I have pitting edema in my legs up to my knees for about 3/4 inches deep. I have been using Albuterol every 30 minutes or so for about six months now. Every day is worse and I am so exhausted. I cannot exhale. I am air hungry, but too full to inhale. Sometimes I have a bitter, thick clear jelly when I cough up. There is no pus, green or yellow though and it is somewhat like a sticky jelly. I am currently taking Spironolactone and Advair. Please help.



Welcome to

Thank you for writing your query elaborately.

  • From your history it is very clear that you are suffering from asthma. That is the reason for your difficulty in breathing very often.
  • Your pulmonary function test (PFT) report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is also suggestive of bronchial asthma.
  • Asthma is a chronic disease due to allergy to some trigger surrounding you.
  • As it is a chronic disease, it can never be cured, but you can control it. Controlled asthma helps you live a normal life.
  • For good control of asthma, you must take preventer inhaler regularly.
  • Albuterol is a reliever inhaler. It is advised to take Albuterol only for emergency use. Regularly you should take Seretide inhaler (combination of Fluticasone and Salmeterol xinafoate) 250 one puff twice daily followed by gargles with plain water.
  • Take Seretide 250 inhaler for one month and if you do not have good control then see your pulmonologist. He will help you adjust the dose accordingly.
  • Albuterol will never control your asthma in long run. Instead, it will worsen the underlying inflammation. So, I advise you to start the proper inhaler treatment and it will help you live a normal life.

The Probable causes:


Preventive measures:

Avoid known allergen.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult a pulmonologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can I use only Asthaline inhaler instead of Montair LC?

For confirmation, get the chest X-ray and spirometry done ...   Read full

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

.. an allergy testing done, either a skin prick or a blood comprehensive. Next, based on the allergens you are sensitive to, we can advise you on further course of action. With respect to getting tolerant to Cetirizine 10 mg, why not try Fexofenadine...   Read full

Is there any permanent solution for wheezing and dust allergy?

.. sorry to say that bronchial asthma or allergic bronchitis is just controllable and not completely curable. Following are the answers for your questions: 1. You should avoid Glemont-F. Reserve it only for acute exacerbations. Try to control your pr...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»
Fallopian Tubes - Anatomy, Function, and Diseases Affecting It
Fallopian tubes are important structures of the female reproductive tract. This article discusses the same below.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Pulmonologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.